dimmer switch for LEDs

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by boyzone, Aug 18, 2016.

1. boyzone

boyzone New Member

I'm about to change my MR16 halogen lamps to GU10 5w LEDs, easy I thought...no it isn't..

I have 12 down lights in my living room all on one circuit, which I can't change, and according to a leading manufacturer, if I replace with LEDs I have to use a "rule of thumb" of rating the dimmer 10 times the wattage of the max load of the LEDs, i.e. LEDs = 60 w thus dimmer needs to be 600w rated??? Plus I can only have 10 LEDs on one circuit.
    Also the dimmer needs to be a trailing edge type switch. Yet now Varilight have told me I can use one of their dimmers TLC code KCP182 which is a leading edge type dimmer.

Any one got an answer to help me.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Agree with the above. Unfortunately compatibility can be a bit hit and miss so best getting a dimmer that's recommended by the manufacturer of the lamp/fitting. Aurora provide a list.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Boyzone: What brand of led lamps are you using.

5. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

'Varilight Pro' dimmers are programmable between being leading and trailing edge, if you can manage to read the incredibly small instruction sheet that comes with them.

I've successfully used them on 'retro fits' of more than 10 lights.

Instructions: http://www.varilight.co.uk/leaflets/V-Pro Push Dimmer Instructions 761.pdf

Programming instructions in the "OPTIMISING THE PERFORMANCE OF YOUR DIMMERSWITCH" section.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I should added that, about switching between leading and trailing edge...:oops:

But, trailing edge is the prefer option,I think you would agree Stat:).