disappointing refund policy.

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by simon Kearns, May 16, 2017.

1. simon Kearns

simon Kearns New Member

I purchased a gate latch yesterday.
    it came in a cheap polythene bag. I opened it on site only to find it was not suitable for the job. I popped it back into the bag and along with the receipt returned it back to screw fix to exchange it for a different one.
    I was told that because the bag had been opened i could not exchange it for anything else, even though the product had not been used. I find this absolutely disgusting, I've never had a problem exchanging goods at any of my other suppliers.
    I use screw fix at least a couple of times a week but don't think I will be using them again.

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Might be a local decision. I've definitely returned unwanted stuff that's been opened to my nearest branch. In fairness in a number of cases (but not all) I made sure they knew something might be coming back - depended on what the client chose.

3. simon Kearns

simon Kearns New Member

apparently this according to the manager of the branch in question is new company policy.

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I don't know about the legal position on this, but most places will allow unwanted goods to be returned as long as they're in a resalable condition. That would normally include all packing intact e.g. a box can be opened and closed, but a bag that's ripped won't be accepted.

Was the bag ripped, was there evidence the bag had been opened? How was it closed/sealed?

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have returned items in bags I have resealed without any problem.

6. simon Kearns

simon Kearns New Member

the product was in a sealed polythene bag. I've bought stuff from them before and it's been obvious that it was a returned product due to tape on the packaging. I don't see this as a problem.
    this was just animal shoot bolt not an electrical item or a tool.

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Oh well I'll have to watch out for that in future. Thank you.

8. facilities

facilities Guest

Hi Simon, I believe that Screwfix are probably obliged to take back unused goods depending on their returns policy, having said that "cheap polythene bag" I don't know of any other type it can be a paper bag as far as I am concerned so long as the product was good, as it was in a polythene bag was it a clear bag? And if so could you have checked it without opening, I would not have expected it to be expensively packaged for a gate latch, still My opinion is they should exchange

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Crikey................never had that problem as yet!:confused:

10. simon Kearns

simon Kearns New Member

yes it was in a clear bag. What we couldn't tell was how strong the spring on the bolt was going to be. It's a job on a day nursery which means 2-5 year old kids. It was far to powerful so not fit for the job.
    my wife worked at Asda for a few years and there returns policy was so good that people would return goods used after 9 months without packaging and with no quibble. Whilst I don't agree with this I do believe unused 24 hours later should be ok.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Active Member

I returned pair of tap cartridges with a ripped bag to my local Screwfix last week and they took them back no problem.

12. facilities

facilities Guest

I agree, try another branch

13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

There are certainly some items where I can fully accept them having a no-refund if opened policy. WC pan connectors and maybe other wastes/traps - would you accept a pan connector in a torn bag? There would be no proof that it was not installed into an old soil stack, found not to be the right one and then removed.

14. facilities

facilities Guest

Agree, but this is a gate latch

15. simon Kearns

simon Kearns New Member

I cant even say it was somebody being a jobs worth. He shouted over a colleague and she backed him up.

16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Best to phone Screwfix customer help line.;)

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Never had a problem with SF returns, it's always been one of their better qualities.

18. Was it in a resaleable condition?

If you were to buy it as you had returned it would you have accepted it?

19. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

Hi @simon Kearns

I'm sorry to read of your disappointment with the return of your purchase. Please email our callour customer service team at online@screwfix.com or call 03330 112 112 with full details of your order so we can investigate and advise fully.

Peter

simon Kearns and Bazza-spark like this.
  20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Problem is I've recently been 'stung' twice when buying items that have had their packaging clearly opened and resealed

It was obvious that the packinging had been opened but I accepted the items in good faith, only noticing damage to both items when I got home

1st item was a door handle that had been badly scratched when clearly the screwdriver had slipped out of the screw head

2nd item was a bathroom fan where the shutters had been snapped off

Both items (on seperate occasions) where simply exchanged but it's my time and inconvenience that was the hassle

Not saying this has any relation to the OP,s case but clearly there are some unscrupulous people out there

Again recently got a door handle from T Stn and again the box had been opened and sellotaped. I asked to check handle in store and the bag with square bar and screws was missing. I'm now not so keen to accept previously opened packs and feel I'm within my rights to refuse such an item and ask for another

You've got to see the complete picture here and consider if the item (yes a gate latch) is in a resaleable condition