Disconnection time

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by bounce, Jan 27, 2005.

1. bounce

bounce New Member

Whats the max disconnection time for outside lights
  2. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

3. Addie

Addie New Member

5 sec if attached to the house
    0.4 sec if they are detached as they are outside of the equipotentail zone of the house
  4. asylemseeker

asylemseeker New Member

You guys must read the book poor old bounce has asked a simple question and with 2 conflicting answers. Outside is outside when you touch it are you in contact with the mass 0.4sec Max
  5. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Active Member

Just aim for .04 secs I am sure you are not going to get above 8 ohmns on a type b breaker

failing that bang an RCD on it

sf
  6. bounce

bounce New Member

yes the circuit is less than 8 ohms i asked this question as i dont know what to put on test sheets eg .4 or 5 secs and as i have got both answers on here i still dont know . HELP ???
  7. signyourlifeaway

signyourlifeaway New Member

anything outside 0.4 disconnection
  8. l00pd0g

l00pd0g New Member

No it isn't

Andy
  9. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

It all depends! As always with the regs!

Firstly the regs state that all circuits outside the equipotential zone shall have a discon time of 0.4 secs

If you read reg 413-02-09 it states that the max discon times in Table 41A (0.4 secs) only apply to socket outlets and final circuits which supply portable equipment intended for manual movement or hand held class 1 equipment. It does not apply to stationary equipment (Outside lights).
    :(

But reg 471-08-03 states that if the fixed/stationary equipment falls outside the equipotential zone and it has exposed conductive parts and it is mounted low enough to be touched while in contact with the earth then it must have a discon time of 0.4 secs.

So in conclusion, unless the lights you are going install are made of metal and are outside the equipotential zone and you can touch them while standing on the ground then the 5 sec rule applies.

Then again the definition of an earthed equipotential zone (according to the regs P.21 does not actually state that outside is not within this zone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
  10. rec man

rec man New Member

Regulations ! isn't it common sense anything outside put on a rcd (with the fastest tripping time) and with a double pole switch to isolate in case of fault, ( if rcd part of main consumer unit, won't be able to reset if neutral earth fault)
  11. Damocles

Damocles New Member

its not common sense to have one RCD covering the entire installation becoming locked off because water has got into an outside light.
  12. Addie

Addie New Member

It all depends! As always with the regs!

Firstly the regs state that all circuits outside the equipotential zone shall have a discon time of 0.4 secs

If you read reg 413-02-09 it states that the max discon times in Table 41A (0.4 secs) only apply to socket outlets and final circuits which supply portable equipment intended for manual movement or hand held class 1 equipment. It does not apply to stationary equipment (Outside lights).

But reg 471-08-03 states that if the fixed/stationary equipment falls outside the equipotential zone and it has exposed conductive parts and it is mounted low enough to be touched while in contact with the earth then it must have a discon time of 0.4 secs.

So in conclusion, unless the lights you are going install are made of metal and are outside the equipotential zone and you can touch them while standing on the ground then the 5 sec rule applies.

Then again the definition of an earthed equipotential zone (according to the regs P.21 does not actually state that outside is not within this zone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I thought anything attached to the house was classed as being in the equipotentail zone and any thing detached was out
    so a garage attached to your house although you will need to walk outside to gain access will still be in the zone