Dished worktops

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Paul Otter, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Paul Otter

Paul Otter Active Member

I have been fitting a kitchen by a company called British Standard, no complaints about thye quality but the oak worktops (sections of around 140mm glued together) were dished by 7mm and 10mm so they were replaced. The new ones have come and are exactly the same, but the dishing is convex on one and concave on the other the suppliers are saying that they are fittable but I can not see me having a hope in hell lining up biscuits and getting a decient joint - please tell me I am missing something. My main gripe is if you can fit them why did they replace the first lot?

2. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Hi. Did you check for the dishing as soon as the new ones were delivered? This happens when worktops are stored in a room with high humidity / damp. One face absorbs more moisture than the other and they expand at different rates, causing the dishing you have. Are you sure it is happening prior to delivery? That is, you are not storing them somewhere damp. It only takes a couple of hours for solid tops to start moving. How thick is the worktop? Thinner tops move faster.

As for being fittable. I have straightened dished tops in the past - but if it is their fault you should not have to.

3. Paul Otter

Paul Otter Active Member

Thanks for getting back to me, they are aroung 30mm thick, they are being stored flat in a living room, I think it may be down to the fact that the top has more coats of sealer than the bottoms and the end grain is not covered, the customer took delivery 3 days ago and I was not on site

4. metrokitchens

Are the tops in a heated & ventilated room? I.e. is someone living in the house? They should still be wrapped up in their plastic until fitting. In a normalised environment wooden tops should not bow / cup. Is their a new extension on the house? The worst tops I had were stored in a recently built extension with concrete floor. Although the plaster had dried and the heating was on the tops bowed and cupped like bananas. Most likely due to the concrete floor still containing moisture.

Unless they were checked on delivery it is hard to lay blame either way. Do not bother trying to fit them with that sort of cupping. Don't get them exchanged again if it is the room that is damp - perhaps get a humidity reading and compare with what the worktop manufacturer suggests.

5. Paul Otter

Paul Otter Active Member

This is what i can not understand, the house is lived in with a constant tempreture of 17", no moisture, no wrapping or packaging with the worktops

6. metrokitchens

The tops should have arrived wrapped. Very cold and damp in that delivery van in the winter. Never known a wooden worktop to arrive without protection. Exchange them again and tell them that you will check them before accepting them this time.

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Agree with metro, the fact they're delivered without packaging is more than likely a contributor to the cupping, speaks volumes how they are stored in the first place. You only have to look at oak and it moves, I would send it back and as stated, check the replacements thoroughly before accepting. You'll never sand out or disguise a discrepancy on a 30mm worktop, and even if you manage it, can you imagine the grief if three months down the line the customer notices a dip and wants them changed, at your expense, when splashback is tiled, sink fitted, the lot!?? Send it back and try to make life a bit easier.

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

If the house is lived in, then there is moisture (you'd be surprised how much moisture we contribute to the atmosphere of a house just by breathing.) ;);)