Dishwasher plug vs Hardwire

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by alexjb1989, May 19, 2017.

1. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

Hi Guys,

First of all I apologise for any wrong terminology.

We are refitting the kitchen and have come to the stage to put dishwasher in.

We've got a fused spur above the worktop and the cable goes through the wall and present near where the dishwasher will go and the idea was to connect it to the dishwasher.

But the Dishwasher comes with a cable with a plug on the end.

What is the best way to remove the plug so we can use our original plan of the fused switch.

Just so you know I wont be touching the MCB, I will be getting a electrician in to make everything live.

Many thanks!

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Put a single socket outlet in an adjacent cupboard and feed that from the fused spur then plug the dishwasher in. (not always possible of course but it's the better way of doing it)

KIAB likes this.
  3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Take a 2.5mm2 from the fused connection unit (spur) to below the work surface, connect it to a single 13A surface mounted socket on a patress. Plug the dishwasher into that, all now complies. Mark the connection unit as being the dishwasher isolation point.

4. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Like this Alex.

Attached Files:

KIAB likes this.
  5. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

6. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yes but you don't need a switched socket - the switch is provided by the fused spur above the worktop, no? One of these:

[​IMG]

7. masterdiy

Can you not run the cable to Inside one of the cabinets, like mine in the picture?.
    As you can see mine is secured to the side.

8. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

Thanks guys,

MasterDIY - I think I will be able to sort something out. Thanks.

Dr Bodgit - Yes there is a fused switch above the worktop. Silly question, but what do you search for to get a socket without a switch?

9. masterdiy

13A. Double pole switched. Dual earth terminal. BS 1363 Part 2: 1995.
    Model No: K2757 WHI

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Risteard likes this.
  11. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

Hi Bazza
    Hi Bazza,

That's sort of what we were originally thinking.

does a flex connection point have to be chased into the wall? or can it be surface mounted below the worktop?

Many thanks

12. masterdiy

Bazza, he needs to Plug in his dishwasher, without cutting off the 3 pin plug.
    So he needs a 3 pin socket + a Back box. Model No: K2140 WHI Thats what I understand anyway.[​IMG][​IMG]

13. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

Thanks for all your help guys.

Just to confirm, in case I have explained my setup incorrectly! See my pic to explain more.

Dishwasher currently has a plug on the end.

Attached Files:

• dish.png
      dish.png
      File size:
      396.7 KB
      Views:
  14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Don't get people's fascination with cluttering up the wall above worktop with sockets (ok, these you need) and several fused spurs / connection units - just looks lumpy and a pain if and when you tile

If adjacent units, neat hole through back/side and plug/socket combo - job done. Provides means of isolation, fused protection, conforms to regs I'm guessing

When the appliance bursts into flames (pretty common with some appliances lately) if you can't quickly reach the plug to isolate appliance, then for goodness sake, tidy ur cupboards and get ur life in order then spend 2 hours of self flageolation as a means of self punishment

At least your walls will be neat and tidy and not overly cluttered with face plates - much better in my opinion :)

15. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

beware if you cut off the 3 pin plug on a new appliance ,you invalidate the warranty !!!

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Surely not - unless you wire it incorrectly into fcu or fo plate or whatever

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

This issue has been discussed many times and often suggested that the warranty won't be affected by simply chopping off plug (as long as installation is correct in every other way)

18. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

That's complete bllxxxx
    Like a socket, it can be surface mounted or chased in.

DIYDave. likes this.
  19. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

bazza , my next door neighbour cut plug off his new dishwasher and found it was not working properly. manufacturer sent engineer who refused to touch it ,stating damage could have been done by electrics not being correctly connected, so tampering invalidates warranty. after weeks of aggro / correspondence threats of solicitors and law suits he got a new one. you said my post was boll...s. yes that what I said to my neighbour !!!

20. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Never mind all of the legal stuff, leave the plug on and fit a socket as I suggested, switched or not, surface or flush, red or green it does not matter. The important thing is that when the dishwasher dies and has to be replaced, all you have to do is plug the new one in. Don't need a rocket scientist to do that!

seneca likes this.