Dismantling UPVC Door

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by flan, Mar 29, 2015.

1. flan

flan New Member

I have moved into a house and want to replace the lower panel on the back door with one with a cat flap in but I can't get the panel out.

There is no beading so I removed all off the rubber seal but have discovered now that the panel is too large to come out of the gap!

I've unscrewed the side thinking it might slide out that way but I can't see how it would do so.

Will add some pictures in a moment. Any ideas most welcome!!

Many thanks.

2. flan

flan New Member

Here's some photos of the side of the door and one corner of the panel
    image.jpg image.jpg

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Panel is usually removable from the inside,just need to prise out the trim, or remove screws from trim, but they can be hard to notice.
    Got the same on my front door, & you need to look close to spot the cover plugs over the screws.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Not really a upvc door though, is it?

Looks to me aluminium clad. The type you need to take the whole door off the hinges, undo screws/bolts under bottom and over top and take the whole side stile off.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Biffo likes this.
  5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I agree with Andy I am almost certain the only way is to dismantle the door by removing the screws in the edge, not sure I would chance it might be a real pain to reassemble square again.
    Why can't you cut the hole in situ?