DIY Boiler Installation

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Tommo44, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Tommo44

Tommo44 New Member

Am I able to install my own boiler and just get it comissioned by a Corgi registered installer?
    If not, how far can I go with regards to installation?

2. Ion Transient

Ion Transient New Member

you can install the system pipework but the actual boiler installation must be done by a CORGI person

3. tgs

tgs New Member

There are three aspects to this:

1. Find a corgi first and discuss what you want to do.

2. Agree what each of you will do. Remember he is the one putting his name to the paperwork which he will not do if you mess him about.

3. Have a good think about this, get some quotes for the whole job. Are you really confident you have the skills to take this on?

4. --------- plumbing

--------- plumbing New Member

anyone who puts his name to your work must be stupid.

if you can't afford to have it done properly don't have it done, don't be a tight ****

must of them are usally builders.

5. Tommo44

Tommo44 New Member

Am I ok to hang the boiler, prepare the pipe work (including condensate drain) right up to the boiler and cut the hole in the roof for the flue?

6. --------- plumbing

Am I ok to hang the boiler

no, part of installation is to make sure the boiler is secured properly how does the rgi know you have.

prepare the pipe work

does that inclued you pressure testing it. i would want to know im not going to end up with hundreds of leaks.

why would any rgi what to put his name against that work, im sure his not that hard up for work.

i would never give anyone a guarentee for installation knowing they have just fitted the pipework,
    and that they'll be on the phone next week with leaks and wanting to claim on my public liability insurance.

people must think we're desperate for there work

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

as tgs says: GET CORGI IN FIRST.

Failure to do so will probably result in Corgi not being interested. Most wont be interested anyway so don't alienate the few who might help you out by going ahead without discussing it first.

8. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

you can install the system pipework but the actual
    boiler installation must be done by a CORGI person

WRONG!!! He can do it all. The law says he must be <u>competent</u>, giving no description at what is competent and not earn money from the work. Don't come back saying you need to be CORGI and such tripe, you don't need to be.

9. --------- plumbing

The law says he must be competent,

so he must be able to

pipe sizing of domestic gas
    check the standing pressure at the appliance
    soundness test
    purge the gas
    adjust working pressure
    flue gas analysis
    etc

that makes you competent, i would doubt it if he even knows what half of them mean let alone do them.

as stated in the gas safty regulations 1998
    that anyone working on gas fittings,pipework,appliances.ventilation etc
    regulation 3.3 prohibits anyone working with gas unless they are members of a class approved by health and safety executive, ie corgi.

10. whatever

whatever New Member

quite right plumbing, but also wrong

CORGI only comes into it when you are working for gain, competancy etc comes into if there is no gain

as much as I hate agreeing with WS he is right

Building regs have confused this BIGTIME

at present the only (as far as I am aware) proof of competancy is the Approved Creditation Scheme

OP as plumbing says only a dope would put his ame to your work so do as suggested and talk to a RGI about what both he and you are comfortable with

Takes two to tango

;)

11. T482 

T482  New Member

> OP as plumbing says only a dope would put his ame to
    your work so do as suggested and talk to a RGI about
    what both he and you are comfortable with

Takes two to tango

;)

..wrong

12. Guest

13. tgs

tgs New Member

pipe sizing of domestic gas
    check the standing pressure at the appliance
    soundness test
    purge the gas
    adjust working pressure
    flue gas analysis
    etc

This is what a professional would do if he is competent. A DIYer would not have this level of competence normally but the courts wouldn't expect the same level from a DIYer than from a professional. They would probably assess the level of competence by outcome. If the DIyer muddles through and produces a safe result he was competent even if some of the checks that a professional would be expected to do were missing.

This makes the whole issue of competence irrelevant until there is a court case or a change in the law.

The most probable reason a court case would happen is that someone was killed or injured as a result of the installation. If this were to happen the court case might be the least of your problems.

On the other hand a new boiler is notifiable under building regs. The easiest way to deal with that is to use a corgi.

The next consideration is boiler warranty. This shouldn't be a problem but having a filled in commission sheet with a RGI number on it is the easiest way to make sure of no hassle support in the event of problems.

Finally, there is the issue of safety. Are you sure you can do a safe job?

14. Water Systems said:-

""WRONG!!! He can do it all. The law says he must be competent, giving no description at what is competent and not earn money from the work. Don't come back saying you need to be CORGI and such tripe, you don't need to be.""

Whilst thats true as far as it goes it does not say that ONLY a real CORGI registered person is able to advise Building Control through CORGI.

You can advise BC instead but they can charge £130 for looking at it but that will not correct any faults. If they found any serious faults they could report you to the HSE for being dangerous.

Tony

15. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

The law says he must be competent,

so he must be able to

The law say he must be "competent". that is all. Do a search on my name on this and I gave all the law cut and pasted. Don't reply again.

16. Tommo44

Tommo44 New Member

Thanks for all the helpful advice
    I still want to get as much done myself as possible but I will get someone in first.

17. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Water Systems said:-

""WRONG!!! He can do it all. The law says he must be
    competent, giving no description at what is competent
    and not earn money from the work. Don't come back
    saying you need to be CORGI and such tripe, you don't
    need to be.""

Whilst thats true as far as it goes

....and it is...

it does not say
    that ONLY a real CORGI registered person is able to
    advise Building Control through CORGI.

Stop prattling tripe!!! Anyone can approach Building Control.

You can advise BC instead

Got it at a last!!!!!!!

18. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

WS is right but the real issue here is : Are you competant?

19. Whilst anyone can advise Building Control they will make a charge for inspecting the installation and that we hear is usually about £130 !!!

As will be fairly obvious Water Systems is not CORGI registered. He is actually retired and passes his time reading manufacturer's information.

Tony

20. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Whilst anyone can advise Building Control they will
    make a charge for inspecting the installation and
    that we hear is usually about £130 !!!

The cost is not the isssue!!!! He can do DIY gas. You do prattle such wayward garbage at times.