diy damp proofing with dryzone

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by leech, May 4, 2009.

1. leech

leech New Member

Hi all, i am considering doing a diy damp proofing job with dryzone, i definitely have rising damp.

I have a small problem, dryzone states that it needs to be injected into the mortar course, however i have render type material on my walls so i cannot see the bricks - therefore i dont have a clue where the mortar lines are.

My question is as follows, if I drill in a horizontal straight line at least 150mm above ground level, and encounter a mixture of bricks and mortar along that straight line and inject the bricks encountered, will the dryzone work just as well in the brick or not, or do i have to hack the render off and expose the bricks then inject into the mortar,

I would of course prefer just to drill bricks and mortar as they arise along the straight line, rather than hack away,

Any advice would be appreciated, many thanks in advance.

2. billhicks

billhicks Member

If you want to do it properly, you need to inject into mortar.

Ideally it should be injected at internal ground floor level and the render should start above that. Otherwise, the render will bridge the damp proof course.

Depending on your house, the render could look really naff knocked off up that high.

3. ecm

ecm New Member

1. What makes you so definitely sure you have rising damp? What tests have you done?
    2. It is standard practice in occurrences of rising damp to remove all render/plaster to 1200mm above FFL prior to application of remedial treatments. This will then allow you to "see" the mortar course and inject as appropriate. The bwk/blk is then covered with a scratch coat of non-gypsum based plaster with integral-water proofed additive and gypsum skim coat in most scenarios.

4. sputnik

sputnik New Member

often its the render that has been done over the damp proof course bridging it causing the rising damp in the first place. or its the common one of the damp proof course being bridged by earth or vegitation is prevening the wall drying. all houses since 1800's have been reqired to be built with damp proof by law.

5. sputnik

sputnik New Member

Also if u have damp on inside wall the salts in the plaster will attract moisture from air and always stay damp so its normal practice to strip and replaster to about 1metre inside. if not most paints will break down and will get damp again.

6. tbcha1

tbcha1 New Member

Hi Leech
    just wondering how you went with the DIY method with dryzone? i am thinking of doing something similar with either dryzone product or techdry
    thanks