DIY fail, can't put up blinds!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by MarkD, Jan 29, 2015.

1. MarkD

MarkD New Member

This is a little embarrassing, I am really struggling to figure out how to put up some roller blinds.

We have some roller blinds we would like to fix to the soffit above a window. It is all measured and the length would fit nicely between the jambs whilst still working.

Problem is to fix the blinds to the soffit we need to drill holes for the brackets within 10mm of each of the jambs. We don't have a drill thin enough to enable us to do that. Especially not one that will get through the lintel.

We would rather not have to use a timber batten because we don't think it would look any good. Anyone got any ideas? I know this can be done somehow!

Thanks for your time.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I feel for you, I too have had the misfortune of doing this in my own house and I have proper drills, you need a heavy duty hammer drill (SDS) preferably to be able to drill into the lintel, I'm assuming it's a concrete one by the way, because it so close to the jambs I found drilling at an slight angle helped keeping the body of the drill away from the jambs.

3. MarkD

MarkD New Member

Thanks Phil, I'm pretty sure it's concrete. I worry that drilling at an angle would not allow the brackets to sit straight?

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If it's tight at the reveals, can you not fix it to the reveals horizontally drilling ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. MarkD

MarkD New Member

Mr. HandyAndy, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the blind is not quite long enough! Just to be awkward!

I guess the backup plan would be to pack off at the jambs but I swear I have seen blinds fixed to the soffit this close. Just can't think how they did it!

6. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Maybe I am being stupid....Yeah, it's not unknown :rolleyes:, but can you not fit the brackets horizontally directly to the window frame? That's how my roller blinds are fitted.

7. MarkD

MarkD New Member

Malkie, I hadn't thought of that. Is that an option? I wouldnt want to create a thermal bridge through the frame.

8. malkie129

You would have to ask someone much more clever than me about thermal bridges, but I can't imagine 4 small self-tappers through the UPVC frame would do much. That's how both my roller blinds are fitted & that was by a professional.

9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Stick your tongue on them screws and you're stuck, lol.

10. malkie129

11. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Not if he hits a live cable, he'll soon become unstuck as he's thrown across the room :eek::eek::eek: