DIY: Fitting gun safe in newish build property.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Benjimon, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Benjimon

Benjimon New Member

I live in a circa 2007 build house. I need to fit a gun safe to the party wall (it would be on show on any proper external walls).

My initial plan was to drill through the plasterboard into brick then use some M8 anchor bolts, I drilled a hole today and didn't hit anything solid for approx 120mm.

It felt like plasterboard, insulation then brick. Although apparently looking online it's more likely thermalite blocks which have poor strength when it comes to anchor bolts. Can I drill into the brick/thermalite and then chemically fix some studded bar all the way through the 120mm gap.

My original plan was to machine some small spacers between the brick and plaster, so when I tighten the bolts it isn't loading the plaster.

Any ideas would be great!

2. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I'm surprised you're not going to use M16 bolts

*grabs coat... *

Tiny01, malkie129 and PaulBlackpool like this.
  3. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

4. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Benjimon, why put it in the wall? Put it in the floor much stronger/solid job and easily camoflauged. Your local gunsmith will be able to advise you, they deal with this kind of thing every day and will have catalogues.

Don't forget the Police will ensure everything is compliant. Stud walls I would think are way too flimsy.

5. One red wall

One red wall New Member

I cut the plaster board around mine and sank it into the wall, feo loved it as it gave no leverage points to force it off the wall.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

this is a song to go with the post.