DIY - Fitting New Radiator

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by AntMarks, Mar 23, 2015.

1. AntMarks

AntMarks New Member

Morning Everyone,

I am hoping that you will be able to help me today! A little about me: amateur DIY'er .

I am just fitting a new radiator in my bedroom. the old radiator was 1280mm, the new one I have is 1200m so I have bought 2 x 40mm Extension valve tails from screwfix to get it all connected without altering the pipes.

So - on the lock shield valve (the left side of the radiator) the extension connected perfectly. However, on the right side where the thermostat is the nut on the extension tail is too big? I think that I need a 15mm Compression Nut but I cannot find any chrome plated ones to match the chrome extension?

Has anyone got any advice around this issue this please??

Thanks A lot

Anthony.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. AntMarks

AntMarks New Member

Thanks KIAB, This is the exact valve extension I bought from screwfix. It fits the lock shield end but not the thermostat end because the nut is too big.

4. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Think they are something like 22mm, 1 end is 15mm and the other has a bigger nut, I've got these on my rads and as I change the rads out I change the valves as well so they are both the same size...plumbers will tell you where you can get them from, may be worth going to the merchants.

B J

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. AntMarks

AntMarks New Member

Thanks guys, I will see what the plumber merchants have to say.

I was looking for a chrome 15mm compression nut, so I could use the 40mm Valve Only, bang an olive and use the compression nut to couple them. But I cannot find a chrome one anywhere!

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

8. AntMarks

AntMarks New Member

Hi GUys,

Thanks for all the feedback. I went to a plumbers merchants and he sold me a 40mm chrome extension tail with a 15mm nut/olive with it which has done the trick. My rad valves appear to be different sizes!

All I needed really was a chrome 15mm compression/coupling nut. Cannot find them anywhere!

Thanks again for all your help!