DIY Gas Worrk is Legal. The proof.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Water Systems, Mar 21, 2008.

1. chris@vietec.com

chris@vietec.com New Member

So how do you know who is competent and who is not, you don't, so stop encouraging it, you are been irresponsible and dangerous

2. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Ready for another days wind-ups then WS?

I know what you mean. People are trying to wind proper competent people up, who work within the law DIYing gas. Shocking!

3. chris@vietec.com

Water Systems, you are not Corgi registered, so you do not hold any ACS qualifications, so you have no idea what competencies are required, you have never fitted a boiler in your life, so you have no knowledge to be advising people if they can DIY gas or not

4. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

So how do you know who is competent and who is not,
    you don't, so stop encouraging it, you are been
    irresponsible and dangerous

How do you know a CORGI is competent? I have seen some totally incompetent jobs by some of them. Shocking indeed. And people paid top buck for all that tripe too. It appears a CORGI badge is a licence to rip people off big time. Shame on you.

5. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Water Systems, you are not Corgi registered, so you
    do not hold any ACS qualifications,

The law says you don't need at that tripe to be competent. Read back on this thread all is there. What don't you understand and I will get top the crux of the matter for you?

6. chris@vietec.com

Please refrain from insinuating that all CORGI RGI's are rip off's, I find this remark slanderous, all CORGI registered installers are deemed competent by the law you keep quoting because we hold the relevent ACS qualifications that prove compentency
    Anyway why would you be looking at any installations, you are retired and even in your time you only designed burners, you never had any installation background.

7. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Please refrain from insinuating that all CORGI RGI's
    are rip off's,

Some are to be sure. A terrible world we live in today. Full of fellas in bald heads and tattoos in BMWs sating terrible things.

I find this remark slanderous, all
    CORGI registered installers are
    deemed competent by the law

They are noty. Competence come by what you do, not by some half backed ACS. Many CORGIs have left appalling jobs behind them showing full incompetency. I would chase them from the front door.

you keep quoting because we hold the relevant
    ACS qualifications that prove compentency

They do not prove competency, they give you the ability to earn money from gas work.

Anyway why would you be looking at any installations,
    you are retired

I am? New to me. I wish I was. I'm run off my feet by people complaining about incompetent jobs by CORGI people.

and even in your time you only
    designed burners, you never had
    any installation background.

Is that so? Wow. I never knew that. Can I put that on my CV?

8. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Having said that DIY gas work should remain legal, I would actually agree with some on this thread who say that 'gas' advice should not be given out casually on this forum.

(a) For a start, how does the 'DIYer' know that the advice given is 'sound'? (He doesn't know the qualification of the person giving the advice...)

(b) And, how does the 'giver' of the advice know that the DIYer has ALL the info they need to continue? It might be that the DIYer has just assumed they have the rest of the info - and skill - they need and spurred on with the partial info given on here, will proceed to carry out a job that will not be completely safe.

All flippancy aside, I think that anyone on here who has given info that leads to an 'unfortunate' situation will feel pretty bad about it.

Best just let the peeps get on with it. If they DIW (do it wrong), let the law sort them out as it does for any other similar situation.

9. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Keep on feeding him folks.

It's a great laugh watching people getting all steamed up!

What a gas!

Ooops!

Am I allowed to say that? :O

10. Water Systems

Water Systems New Member

Having said that DIY gas work should remain legal, I
    would actually agree with some on this thread who say
    that 'gas' advice should not be given out
    casually on this forum.

(a) For a start, how does the 'DIYer' know that the
    advice given is 'sound'? (He doesn't know the
    qualification of the person giving the advice...)

I have seen no dangerous advice ever given. Bolting a boiler on a wall, as per the makers instructions, and connecting a gas pipe to it is not a dangerous act, neither is connecting that gas pipe to a meter outlet either. As long as the person tests for leaks on his work.

Changing a thermocouple lead, a pressure switch and gas valve on a boiler is not particularly dangerous as long as everything is connected back the way it was. and sink leak tests are done.

The pcbs on modern boilers will not allow combustion if something is wrong.

11. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Fair 'nuff, WS, and I'm not actually disagreeing with you on your main points on this thread.

(I'd hate to think it was just the PCB that prevented an
    incompetent from trashing his house and its contents :()

12. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

If you're going to get blown up it's really important not to be a tight git & have it done professionaly. After all, hard working & traned RGI's need to make a living.

13. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

PCB's don't work when the electrickery is off do they. :)

14. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

Please quote a single recorded instance of a domestic gas explosion caused by DIY 'messing about'. anyone. I'm not talking about LPG, near misses or urban myths.

15. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

The official figures show that gas can be regarded as a very safe fuel. Comparators of risk using data from 2000 show that the annual risk of dying per head of population from the following are:

• CO poisoning from incomplete combustion (Gas), 1 in 1.8m
    • an internal natural gas explosion, 1 in 11m
    • all types of natural gas related incident, 1 in 1.4m
    • a road accident, 1 in 15,700
    • accident in home or garden, 1 in 15,000
    • electrocutions in the home, 1 in 170,000
    • cancer, 1 in 360
    • struck by lightening, 1 in 10 million

16. fedupwithjunk

fedupwithjunk New Member

The real statistic we should be interested in is who causes more accidents? Qualified or unqualified workers.

None of my certificates made me any better at any of the things I am qualified to do, what makes a person good at their job is his/her attitude. Only an idiot automatically presumes otherwise.

That said I always check qualifications.

17. Mr Ian

Mr Ian New Member

See my post http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?messageID=910256&#910256

And whilst we're on the subject.....

Let's use some WS logic and ban all unvented systems after so many fatalities in the UK (er, none!) AND at the same time advocate gas work by DIYers/non-CORGIs which killed around 35 people last year.

As the HSE states (not CORGI, the people responsible for gas safety): "[doing your own] DIY gas work is probably illegal" (as it will not conform to GSIUR).

I'm off to lift a heavy load without bending my knees. Or to put it another way "off for a pi55" :)

18. rekoj

rekoj New Member

Let's use some WS logic and ban all unvented systems
    after so many fatalities in the UK (er, none!) AND at
    the same time advocate gas work by DIYers/non-CORGIs
    which killed around 35 people last year.

Around? Very vague wouldn't you say? Was someone half-killed? How many was it? What is your source?

As the HSE states (not CORGI, the people responsible
    for gas safety): "[doing your own] DIY gas work is
    probably illegal" (as it will not conform to GSIUR).

Probably? All very vague really and not really very helpful. Typical wishy washy government department 'covering all bases' to try and discourage DIY gas work (and quite right in most cases) in case they end up in court.

I'm off to lift a heavy load without bending my
    knees. Or to put it another way "off for a pi55" :)

Enjoy.

:)

19. fedupwithjunk

fedupwithjunk New Member

As with most trades there is the good the bad and the ugly. I would rather do most jobs myself that I feel competent at simply because my experience has shown that I will rarely be satisfied by the job another person will do in my house.

If I have any doubts over my competency in any area then the search for someone better (or training) starts. The trouble is there are a lot of bad and ugly "professionals" out there and the good ones have queues of work as long as your arm.

DIY is not synonymous with bad work just as a "professional" does not always do a good job. We do need to help the unsafe, unskilled and most likely low income DIYer from killing him/herself (and us) but passing a law stopping them buying a boiler is just never going to work.

20. Mr Ian

Mr Ian New Member

And one more thing.....