DIYers strike again.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by peter palmer, Jun 9, 2016.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

This is why they shouldn't be encouraged to carry out their own out work. Simple upgrade to chrome switches, no RCD on circuit but it works perfectly so no problems then.

IMG_20160609_122506.jpg

sparky Si-Fi, leesparkykent and KIAB like this.
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Yikes!

I started off doing carpentry and I would often come across cables in walls etc and I would stay the hell away from. I would hate when they were present or working around them.

Then coming on this site and just seeing so many people just having a go, basically not even flinch or caring about touching it. It baffles me!

I just can't believe that people will just have a go Harry.

4. Neveryoumind

Neveryoumind Active Member

Neutral in the earth terminal! As you say, as long as it works.....

tore81 likes this.
  5. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

looks like some one likes american wiring (there homes use a shared netural earth system)

6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Everything so easy to get hold of now DBs, boilers and the like diy stores have to take some responsibility in selling to Billy bodgit

7. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

I got called out to a job a few years back,not a light in the house worked,all new brass switches and sockets.The guy didn't know what he was doing but his 15 year old son thought he did!

FatHands likes this.
  8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Ive had it were you have funny things going on with lights. You ask if anything has been done, and receive a "no, nothing". You then find a miss wired light fitting, correct it, fault fixed. Then you get "oh, I did swap that".

philthespark, FatHands and Beefstu like this.
  9. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

True, and i whole-heartily agree, but i cannot see it happening somehow. Bit like Halfords selling car parts to people who haven't got a clue to people working on their own cars

10. Neveryoumind

Neveryoumind Active Member

I disagree with both sentiments, to me it's like a bar, or off licence, or supermarket selling drink, it's up the drinker to be responsible with consumption. Of course we will warn people of the dangers and advise sensible consumption.
    I think too often we ship responsibility out to other people, "I'm fat, so I blame cadbury". " my house is on fire, I blame screwfix for selling me that light switch "

Everything is your fault, what I mean is;
    Everything that happens to me is my fault and I am responsible for myself.
    That's why I don't vote, that would be assigning power outside of myself.

11. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Dont vote ?.....well I would expect you to NEVER ever comment or complain about anything in this country or the world...as its 'outside of yourself.'
    RS

12. Scotmac

Scotmac Member

As stupid as some things might be, can't really blame people for attempting things themselves. Most folk are really struggling with money but still want to take a bit of pride in their house and cant always afford a tradesman. Or they are just oblivious to the dangers of doing something wrong

13. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Got the usual Monday morning call ........this one was interesting customer complaining she was getting a tingling feeling off the wall she was striping paper off

IMAG0469.jpg

Must have been happening for a while the owner before had stuck one of those plastic switch surrounds on the wall.

14. peter palmer

Was that joint exposed like that when you took the switch off? RCD may have tripped in that situation but never an MCB, I think I would condemn the whole installation and scare the lady witless with tales of instant death.

15. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

That's exactly as i found it mate if she hadn't been using a steam wall paper stripper she would never have found the problem and after a few tests found no earths at the light fittings a dodgy single socket tapped off the lighting the C/U was and old MEM with type 2 MCB's no RCD protection at all. I've given her a notice.

16. FatHands

True, but then I guess the arguement is why are parts that are for professional use available to jo public?

17. Scotmac

Scotmac Member

Such as?

18. FatHands

The list is endless really, but a consumer unit is one. On the end of the electrical isle at b&q. A.part that requires professional installation at a shop with diy.com as their web address

19. peter palmer

They do sell boilers as well though and joe bloggs very rarely tries to fit one of them. Maybe people perceive having something going wrong with gas = blowing your house to smithereens and something going wrong with electrics = having a bit of a sore hand.

Its about time the scam providers dipped their hands into their pockets and gave something back, how about a TV advert in prime time laying down the law and a few DIYers that cock up being heavily fined or locked up.

FatHands likes this.
  20. FatHands

^^ they do but interestingly someone was infront of me in the tradepoint queue a while ago and they asked him for his gas safe number when buying a boiler and I thought to myself I wonder if they will do this for items such as consumer units