Do chased in radiator pipes need to be insulated?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dandleswekkah, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Dandleswekkah

Dandleswekkah New Member

Builder/plumber has started to chase in these radiator pipes and tells me he is going to plaster straight over the top- is this normal?
    I've heard that the heat of the pipes may blow the plaster and they need to be insulated.
    Builder has also told me he won't be replacing the plastic clips that spaced them apart before as the cut into the wall isn't be deep enough and he can't go any further.. thoughts please?!
    Photo attached

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Right mess!

Is that 10mm micro bore copper pipe?
    Usually I would wrap copper pipes with Denso tape if they are being plastered or cemented over.

Cliff Rees likes this.
  3. Dandleswekkah

Dandleswekkah New Member

Yes it's 10mm copper pipe.

4. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Looks as though the chase is deep enough for clips. I agree with Kiab - a right royal mess - makes us DIYers feel better. Why not plastic as its corrosion proof?

Cliff Rees likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Must be a better solution, not a fan of burying copper pipes regardless of size in walls.:(

Cliff Rees likes this.
  6. Dandleswekkah

Dandleswekkah New Member

I have questioned him about the state of the work and he told me it didn't matter as they are being covered by plaster... not really the answer I was looking for!

7. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

sorry but it does look a bit gash! Any joints being buried?

8. Dandleswekkah

Dandleswekkah New Member

Not as far as I know- they said the pipe is bendable so the right angles to run the pipe along the bottom of the radiators will just be bent manually.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A disaster waiting to happen!:eek:

Cliff Rees likes this.
  10. Light switch drop is a lash up without conduit,they should have used some oval.No pride in their work.

11. Dandleswekkah

Dandleswekkah New Member

So the cables need to be encased before plastering over?

12. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

I notice your original post says builder/plumber! Which? Also you can get 10mm pipe benders if you need them.

John Fitzpatrick likes this.
  13. It is not a regulation,but it is rough workmanship not to do it.

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

That chase for a bit of T&E looks same size as pipe chase ..... 1 size fits all

Possible problem with pipe corrosion (ok some years down the line) and also chance of noises inside the wall when pipes expand with hot water ?

Hairy pipe lagging (hair felt) ? Is a simple and cheap solution

My sister recently had some electrical work done and several chases done. Cables laid then Chases were filled with expanding foam, cut back a few mm when dry then skimmed over

Finished job looks good to be fair
    You guys seen this foam method before ?

Cliff Rees likes this.
  15. expanding foam eats pvc cables.....

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Guess that's not so good then :eek:

Work was during a kitchen refit by a large national chain (it's got their name on it) :mad:

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And skim tends to fall off expanding foam if it isn't thick enough

18. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

I would prefer to avoid chasing in pipes at all, but if I have to and there is limited room I would wrap them in this. If there isn't room for proper clips, builders' band will do the trick.

For 10mm pipes like that, I would be putting the pipe through round plastic conduit; my personal opinion is that your builder is being a lazy git.

19. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

10m!m pipe cant"just be bent " by hand!!!!! u need a bender

20. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

yes, that's what I said!