Do I need a normal drill or will SDS do?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by mo786, Aug 17, 2014.

1. mo786

mo786 New Member

Hi

I had 3 drills - an SDS, a normal one and a cordless one.

The SDS one has been lost and the normal (corded hammer drill) is starting to get a bit old.

I am looking to rationalise so would like to get an SDS drill and then use that as my normal drill as well.

My last SDS was massivley beefy (a cheapo from Lidl which was mega powerful) - however I see you can get some light SDS drills which look only slightly beefier than traditional drills. And you can get a chuck that works with traditional drill bits.

The last time I looked into this (when I got my first SDS) the argument seemed to be SDS were too beefy to use for day to day drilling into wood etc.

Is this still the case or is there a particular reason why you MUST have an old style drill.

I am a DIYer but I would say I use my toosl regularly to drill into wood and masonary.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

an sds drill will drill concrete and hard bricks with ease, no other will, but you can put a chuck into a sds drill turn off the hammer and it will drill wood and soft stuff too, so if I only had one drill, it would be a sds drill

3. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Tom is dead right. I would go for corded, as if you have 240v normally available, there is no need to go for the expense of cordless. My SDS drill is my most used power tool, well apart from my radio ! ;)

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Thing you have to watch out for, is the speed of the SDS for normal drilling. Some SDS don't have very high speeds.
    Check the speeds for corded power drills, then compare the SDS speeds before buying.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really