Do I need a plasterer?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by StevesST220, Apr 19, 2015.

1. StevesST220

StevesST220 Member

Evening all.

I have been asked by a customer to give a quote to paint a bedroom.

The room is 1900-1930's end of terrace house, top floor. all walls have been papered and painted and customer wants paper stripped, re-papered then painted.

Problem is this:
    one wall (end of terrace external wall) contains a chimney brest, but, the fire is no longer in use. Customer told me that this wall previously suffered water damage, but, the cause of this should have been remedied when re-pointing was carried out some 8 or 9 months ago. I have removed the wallpaper from the chimney brest to reveal the plaster. There are obvious signs of patch repairs in some parts and there are still visible cracks in others. Taping the chimney breast gives a hollow sound to most of the brest so I think that a large area of plaster has blown - the plaster around all edges appears to be in good condition and the plaster has a sand/render substrate which is still in good condition.

What would be the best solution to this problem from a customers point of view?
    I could remove all blown plaster back to substrate and pay for a plasterer to come in and re-plaster. I could then paper and paint at the appropriate time.
    I could, as customer suggested, patch repair the damage and hope the lining paper holds it all together!! (I wont be doing that though).
    I was toying with the idea of fitting batons then drywall sheets to this area, but, customer doesn't seem that keen on this idea. I think it would be cheaper to do it this way as I wouldn't need a plasterer and could size then paper straight away. I'm sure I could convince customer to accept drywall sheets if that is the cheapest/quickest option.
    I don't need a mirror finish plaster surface due to it being papered and painted and customer just wants it tidied up to a 'decent' standard as it's a large house and there is a lot to be done to it.

Any ideas / thoughts welcomed.

Thank you

2. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

If the plaster has blown then you need to hack it off and replaster, if the customer just wants it patching then just patch it but put in a condition that you are not held responsible for any comebacks and will not guarantee it. Then paint it. All you can do is advise on the correct way of doing it, ultimately it's down to the customer. If you're not happy to do what the customer wants then walk away.

3. StevesST220

StevesST220 Member

Would patching then overboarding be an option? (I know overboarding is usually only for ceilings)

4. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

You're then involved with removing skirting boards and refitting with the possibility of splitting them on removal.

5. StevesST220

StevesST220 Member

Thank you Dunk, I hadn't given a thought to skirting boards

6. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

If they just want it tidying up then just patch it with easifill, lining paper and paint it. Tell them you can't guaantee it won't move or crack though because of the loose background. Like said before all you can do is advise.