Do I need hinge tite screws for butt hinges

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by lemonade, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The problem here is, that neither of us know which screws he was actually trying, or why they weren't sitting flush.
    Or why the supplied screws weren't any good. Or what type of countersunk his screws had.

So my advice was to try something different than he had. Perfectly reasonable, and common sense.

I stand by it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

longboat and gadget man like this.
  2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Yes we do, he was using the supplied screws, which everybody apart from you know are rubbish so the advice should have been to throw them away.
    Your advice was to use them or some other screws that weren't designed to be used with hinges rather than the hinge tite screws he was asking if he should use, you know the ones you were Googling.
    Not reasonable, not common sense, not justifiable.
    I'm sure you do stand by it and that is your problem, You're an idiot and will never admit to being wrong which is a massive failure in a human being.
    Billy Bodgit, honestly.

3. Mr. Handyandy

So for all the years you didn't know they made no.7 screws, what did you use where a no.7 screws was required?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Never bought a no.7 screw before and still haven't, never needed to, but it has the same countersink angle as a No.6, No.8, No.10 and every other single countersink screw.
    What is your point other than emphasising your use of Google to stalk me.
    I only use metric screws now so a bit pointless.
    What was the point of your post other than the death rattle of a busted flush?

5. Mr. Handyandy

The point of it chippie, is to emphasise that where you may have needed a no.7 screw, you have used an alternative, a metric 4mm perhaps. ie one that fits the work required.

Get this: Correct gauge countersunk screw sits proud. What to do?
    Why would a hinge tite fit better(flusher) that any other screw of the same gauge?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The correct gauge single countersunk would not sit proud but a double countersunk or bugle head probably would.
    The fact that it sits proud means that it's the wrong gauge not the wrong profile.
    Everybody uses the same countersink angle on fittings, get that in your thick head and you might go somewhere towards stopping making a bigger fool of yourself

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Are there any geometry teachers out there that could help explain this to a feeble minded handyman, it should be very easy to draw a diagram with the angles on?

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you look at this chart, you will see that H alters in size with the screw size, but the angle remains the same, so all standard counter sinks are the same angle, but the hole size would alter for the screw size needed.

flathhead.gif

9. Mr. Handyandy

Yeah

Yeah. Where's the comparison for the double-countersunk and the bugle?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

There isn't one, simply because a hinge isn't either a double counker-sunk or bulge.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Well there is a comparison. Because we never knew if the OP was using one of those other shapes, which is why I told him to use a different shape - in case he was!
    That was the jist of it. If he had the wrong profile screw, use a different one.
    12 pages later, still unclear. Don't see why that suggestion is such a problem.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Exactly.

13. Mr. Handyandy

Was the OP using standard countersink screws?

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It doesn't matter if he was using a nail your advice would still have been wrong, the advice should never have been to use a double countersink or a bugle as that advice was wrong.
    Just admit that you were wrong and stop looking like a pathetic little creep.
    We all know that you're in the wrong, and as I said before, but this is only a big thing in your head.
    No one will think any less of you.

15. Mr. Handyandy

Excuse me. It is not a big thing in my head. It is you that has dragged it out for 12 pages.

If a screw fits and it works, it is correct.

You don't know what screw he was trying. You don't know what quality of hinge he was using. Who is to say that either were 'good' quality, cut to precision pieces?
    Use a screw that fits. If you need to use a different type to make it fit, use it.
    It's not rocket science.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The guy had to buy some new screws, you advised him to buy the wrong screws and hope they fitted, this is the advice of a Billy Bodgit chancer.
    Do you work for B&Q by any chance, wandering around the aisles with an orange apron, dribble down your chin, telling the oap's that it will work just fine.
    Being able to admit when you are wrong is a big part of joining the big boys club, you just stay down there with the failures and fantasists.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Joe95 likes this.
  17. Mr. Handyandy

Just thought I'd post this reply to the 'screws' thread to further show you don't know what you'retalking about....

http://www.screwfix.com/search?search=6ga+x1"+woodscrews

But watch out, because contrary to what chippe244 says, 'normal' screws are single-countersink, and you would have to go looking for double-countersink.

Seems the only listing for these screws are ALL double-countersunk.

Shows how much he knows.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

All fittings are are single countersink so that's what you need to use on them, this is beginner stuff for a tradesman but totally over the head of a brain dead handyman.

wiggy likes this.
  19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What does the description say, suitable for wood, plastic, masonry and 1mm sheet metal, at no point does it say suitable for 3mm hinges.
    We've been through through this already you simpleton but it's just not sinking in is it.

20. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

You must be using the wrong screw then!:p