Do I need this gap under the boiler?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by joejoejoe, Oct 12, 2016.

1. joejoejoe

joejoejoe New Member

My builder has cut a large hole under the cupboard that covers the boiler and is telling me that he won’t make a cover for it as the gap is needed for air, is this the case?

The pipes will be boxed in but with a small (5-10cm) box so won’t cover the 25cm cut out he has made.

What would you do?[​IMG]

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Most modern boilers dont need any ventilation.

What combi you got.

3. Have they fitted an internal filling link as that looks like a worcester.
    The space is not needed for ventilation but if internal filling loop you need to get the key in.
    There are also isolation valves there and there is a cover like a tray which covers pushes over all this.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016
  4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Looks quite pretty as it is! None of my pipes have earth bonding on them :oops: Guess the people should have fitted them?

5. The flexes hanging about are rough.
    Where is fuse connection unit to isolate the boiler.

6. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

manufacturers instructions will state the minimum clearances.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

It's a WB :)

8. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

bonding clips do not have " saftey electrical connection , do not remove labels " fitted. i would always leave underneath the boiler accessible!!

9. Hi JJJ.

That is a modern condensing combi boiler which is room-sealed.

It does not require any particular ventilation, certainly not that huge hole.

So your builder is ill-informed.

What would I do? Make a panel that's slightly larger, push up against the pipes and mark them on, cut slots for the pipes neatly, and then secure the panel to the underside with a few easy-to-access screws.

If it's an eye-sore. How high up is the boiler? If you cannot see this hole unless you are collapsed on the floor, then it ain't important.

But your builder was wrong/ a fibber...

10. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Could be for access underneath. If it has an internal filling loop, how would you ever refill it in future, say you had to have the system drained down? Would you take the cupboard off the wall just to access the filling loop ?

11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Just do as DA suggested

12. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

That is certainly a fairly standard set up for a boiler housing. A lot of access is required for servicing / maintenance.
    I would suggest a removable panel to cover the opening.

13. As I said earlier,there is a plastic cover (which the filling loop key lives in) that is supposed slip in below the boiler.
    If it was put in place a lot of that is hidden.
    Cannot remember properly,but I think worcester recommend 200mm clearance to the bottom of the boiler.

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

If the boiler is in a cupboard i would either leave as is or do what DA suggested.

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Look at installing a universal trim (pelmet?) to top and bottom of unit.

The boiler if wB should have come with a white cover which slides under the boiler - it houses the filling link key.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Your builder wants to save the £50/100 it would take to do the job properly cos that's what they do.

17. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

A thing of the past on recent Worceters they now have a filling lever and no key

KIAB likes this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Finally...:)

Can it be retro fitted to older Worcesters?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  19. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

No its an integral part fitted onto the Compacts, not sure if the CDi's are still key filled and the old Juniors are being replace by the Compacts.
    I went on a visit to the Worcester factory last month courtesy of a rep, very interesting visit and fantastic to see what they do, plus a good night of free beer and curry plus a hotel all at Worcesters expense.
    But I will say I have changed my mind about them they have improved their heat exchangers and in some respects are better than Vaillants.

KIAB likes this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wow! [​IMG] [​IMG] better than Valliants... [​IMG]