do i need to replace this

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by tina lucinda lane, Jul 15, 2015.

1. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Not an professional electrician, but providing the successful safety check was fairly recent and it still works I don't know of any necessity to replace it as current electrical regulations are not retrospective.
    If you want to bring all your installation up to date then have a full rewire at some stage in the future but you might be advised to wait until next year when it is understand steel consumer units become law but these are becoming available now. Screwfix stock them.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-10-way-metal-high-integrity-consumer-unit-2-rcds/7705h

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

According to the bloke on that web site link you have given, he says....

These devices are no longer used, as they have a significant flaw. If the fault is between live and a circuit earth, they will disconnect the supply. However, if the fault is between live and some other earth (such as a person or a metal water pipe), they will NOT disconnect, as the voltage on the circuit earth will not change.

So, I would say it needs replacing, but I'm not a spark either. Still, I'm surprised it was flagged up as safe.

4. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

If you had an old wood backed Wylex fuse box it would be strongly suggested that it be replaced . But this would not be illegal even though it had no RCD at all as the regulations are not retrospective. No doubt the pro's will tell us whether they would pass it as safe!:)

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Paul, some regs ARE retrospective. With regards to the bonding, if it's not up to the current standard it needs to be before any work is done with regard to alterations so I would say it would be the same with any wood based accessorie.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If that was in my place, I would be replacing it asap, regardless whether it passed as safe.

FatHands likes this.
  7. tina lucinda lane

1st i know mine does not have the earth issue as i had those both tested and passed both also mine is all ready a fuse metal box

8. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Bomb it out. .

Obsolete since early 80's

Replacement 30mA RCD with enclosure for around £50.00

(You will then find out if your install has any latent faults in it, as new item is inbalance of line conductors, whereas the Brontosaurus your replacing was fault voltage operated. Also guessing you still have a rewire-able Wylex fuseboard)

Si

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That's a voltage operated ELCB which as Sparky said is now obsolete, the modern version would be a 30m/a RCD.
    It is advisable to replace it although only necessary regs. wise if you have any additions or alterations done to the installation.

10. tina lucinda lane

i have a mem box htatp://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/RFLighting/IMGP2406.jpg this type and size it has 1 30amp 1 5amp 1 20amp and 1 45amp fuse in it (my lights are run by the 5amp fuse my sockets are on the 30amp the 20amp is for the water heater and the 45amp runs the cooker) thankfully this was upgraded to cartridge fuses (it had fuse wire ones when it was installed) and i have thought of geting it upgraded but was informed of the change to metal fuse boxes so was told there was no need as it is a safe unit (i have a 3 bed house it has one double and one single socket upstairs and down stairs the is only 4 more double sockets as for lighting there is only 9 lights in the house) i have been told that if i want more sockets or lights then i will have to upgrade so will prob have a rewire done with in the next 3 years as atm i am working though replacing all the pendent fittings (as the old ones have worn out shade skirts and it turns out the screw threads are imperial not metric even tho the house was rewired 15 years ago) also all my work is checked and signed off by a fully trained spark all i am doing is the labor side of the work he passes all work before it is made live

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  11. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Seeing as you can't actually test them with an RCD tester I don't know how the guy could have certified it as 'safe'.

It would be interesting to see his I^n and 5xI^n readings ;)

seneca likes this.
  12. tina lucinda lane

he has his methods for simulating faults that could happen also all my pipe work earth goes through this unit and my house is protected by a ground spike earth

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

The answer is yes. Those voltage operated earth leakage devices have been pronounced unsafe and must be changed. This is nothing to do with retrospect, it is known to be dangerous because it won't operate under certain fault conditions. This is one instance where technology proved to be flawed and when it was recognised was withdrawn. You must replace it. It is a safety issue. Looks like another 'invented' test stateit. You cannot test a voltage operated device with a current based tester.

14. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

also all my work is checked and signed off by a fully trained spark all i am doing is the labor side of the work he passes all work before it is made live

Use of a licence number for not his installed work. . .

15. tina lucinda lane

the law allows any 1 to replace fixtures like for like (ie not moved, added to or extended) any one can do it with out having to even get it checked im simply having it checked and signed off to be sure its done right (when i say signed of he gives me a cert that states that the work is done to code and checked by a qulified spark and was done by a compent person) btw sorry for any miss spelling i have mild dislexia

16. tina lucinda lane

also thanks for all the help will get the new unit fitted (my spark will be doing the wiring change over due to it being a live supply that even he cant legaly turn off)

17. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

A registered spark CAN NOT sign off anyone else's work unless it's his own or he is bent. If he DOES sign off your work as his own he will be accepting full responsibility for it. I think it's extremely unlikely any spark would do this unless he had 100% confidence you have done your bit right. The only other way is notify BC, pay the fee, and have them sign it off.

18. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

ELCBs cannot be used as the earth fault protection on a TT system, and have not been permitted to for MANY years.

They look for a voltage on the earth of the installation in reference to a rod (essentially looking for fault current flowing down the earth from the consumer unit to the rod). With parallel paths, this makes the system worthless. It also does not protect against shock (current through you).

If your current consumer unit has RCD protection, then this ELCB would essentially be surplus and just an isolator, assuming your main earth conductor was not run through it. I would still prefer to see it gone, as it's current rating is only 60amp, and it won't have a BS number to be used as a main switch.

tina lucinda lane and FatHands like this.
  19. tina lucinda lane

@ coloumb he is a very good friend (also hes my brother in law) it is due for a perodic safety inspection which im geting him to do (i paid a spark before for this as i didnt know any) but i shall be getting rid of this asap also i will upload photos of my current install for you all to enjoy (and maybe laugh at) i have also been told that i can (for now) keep the fuse box only need to replace this when next rewire is done

20. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Probably not what you want to hear, Alex, but that's the downside of using 'friends' to test electrics, they don't give you the correct advice.