Do Kitchen Lever Bib Tap Upstands Develop Stress-problems?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Catherine Barber, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Catherine Barber

Catherine Barber New Member

I've been told that the Upstands of Lever-handled Kitchen Bib taps could develop stress/flexing problems with time, after the Lever handle has been operated (pushed and pulled) a great number of times?

Has anyone experienced a problem with this?

It's only Kitchen Bib taps that I'm interested in finding out more about, as opposed to bathroom or garden taps.

2. Catherine Barber

PS - Would also like to know of ANY problems, ie, leaking, that Lever Bib taps might develop.

3. Catherine Barber

'FLEXI TAILS' OR 'RIGID TAILS'?

I got a reply from a Plumbing company/website mentioning this about taps being able to have 'flexi tails' or 'rigid tails'.

Would this mean anything to anyone here, and would anyone know if having a 'rigid tail' would be an advantage for a Bib tap?

4. If any tap is mounted on a thin flexible sinktop - such as some stainless steel types - then using rigid copper pipes would help keep the tap steady and make it feel less floppy :rolleyes:

But, really, a tap should be able to support itself...

To help with 'wobbly' issues, you can get brackets/clamps for taps which fit on to the tap shaft after it's passed through the sinktop and which is also screwed to the surrounding worktop (if it's an inset sinktop).

I'm only now beginning to understand your first post; "Upstands of Lever-handled Kitchen Bib taps could develop stress/flexing problems with time..."

But, what is a 'Bib' tap and what do you mean by 'Upstand'?

Any chance of a photo? (Keep it under 2M).

5. Catherine Barber

Thanks so much for your reply, Devil's Advocate! That's all useful information about 'brackets/clamps' to fit onto the tap shaft, and something to mention to my plumber - along with 'flexi' or 'rigid' tails; unless those are just different names (plumberese(!) for brackets or clamps

Yes - when I've got time - I could (attempt to) post up a photo, but not sure I'd know if it were '2M'. So, might it be quicker for you to google in 'bib taps' and then select 'Images'.....? Anyway, to give you an idea: a bib tap upstand (sometimes called 'standpipe') is like an up-ended-'L'-shaped metal pipe, with the tap head fixed near the end of the 'L's horizontal bar.

Incidently my own kitchen sink is stainless steel - and I'm beginning to see what you mean about a 'thin flexible sinktop', as opposed to an inset sink with a strong worktop surround, ie wood.

Anyway, many thanks for now!