Do these

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Phil the Paver, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Why not install a water softener ...

25 years back my hot cylinder was changed and the amount of calcium deposit was enormous. Just under 10 years back, I installed a water softener for the whole house except the kitchen tap and outside taps and there would have been a build up of calcium in the cylinder by then. A few weeks back, I removed the immersion heater and when I looked in the tank - there was no calcium build up which suggest that the water softener extracted most from the incoming supply and because it was soft, the water slowly reabsorbed some fro the tank. I have no problems with dishwasher, washing machine, shower pumps, shower heads ...

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well, I'm not impress with them, had one here when I moved in,it had been in place for some years, I remmoved it & cut it open, very little scale, even though it's a hard water hard.

Proper water softener is the way to go, just remember to have one tap untreated for drinking water.

4. Phil the Paver

5. Pollowick

I have a Tapworks AD11 http://www.tapworks.co.uk/domestic-water-softeners/ installed with a 22mm fitting kit. they supply through many wholesale plumbers merchants and you can get very good pricing.

Also, if you go this route and live anywhere from Central London, out past Heathrow to Maidenhead, I can give you details of a salt supplier who has prices that are extremely good. I have just ordered 5 x 25kg bags delivered for £42 (inc VAT). Best prices I see elsewhere is about £12:50/bag.

6. Pollowick

They don't actually collect scale but, as I understand, introduce Zinc into the water which changes the crystalline structure making it more difficult for the Calcium to come out of suspension and stick on the metal surfaces.

7. Phil the Paver

Softener aside, do you believe the inline contraption would be any good at all.??

8. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nope.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nope.

11. Phil the Paver

So bad you said it twice.

:D:D:D:D

KIAB likes this.
  12. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Well ~i have had one installed for just over 3 years and i can honestly say that where the water IS IN MOTION (e.g. from a hot water coil or hot water pipe/tap) it does reduce the build up of scale - as a previous poster observed. But as soon as the water is STATIONARY - the limescale will deposit (e.g. on sinks baths, chromework etc.) It has to be remebered that these are for water treatment, not softeners. Actually I hate softened water - cant get rod of soap foam and its got no taste to drink. you have to have at least one cols tap which does not supply softened water - that in itself speaks volumes for me.

13. Phil the Paver

To be honest I'm not bothered by softened water, just want to prolong the life of a shower pump.

14. Pollowick

I don't know the answer, but some thoughts to ponder.

If they are that wonderful and work as well as is claimed then why do water companies not fit them to all new builds? They may have a little effect but the wonder device?

Having seen how much scale can accumulate in a cylinder, I wonder how much zinc is in the device and will it be enough for a suggested ten year life?

15. I don't know the answer either, and it seems incredible that there hasn't been a definitive test carried out on them somewhere.

I wonder if there is?

Anyhoo, I didn't know these particular ones worked by 'zinc' - I'd assumed they were all magnetic.

As said above, they can only really be referred to as water conditioners and not softeners - the only softeners I know of use salts, and this is why it's unsuitable for drinking (hence having to retain a drinking water tap).

As for the magnetic/zinc/electronic types, I don't have any practical experience of them, but my gut feeling - from reviews and the simple fact they've been around for a looong time - is that they do work to some extent, helping to prevent the calcium salts coming out of solution, or keeping them as small crystals which pass through without causing so much harm.

But I don't know.

Perhaps Phil could do the first proper SF test? :)

Eg - fully clean kettle used for a month and photographic evidence of the state therein. Fully cleaned again and followed by a month with one of these little fellas fitted?

16. Phil the Paver

I already filter the water for the kettle, the water here is so hard that our kettle brand new in February had visible scale in less than a week :eek::eek:
    Cleaned it all out (white vinagar wonder stuff.:D:D) bought a Brita filter and its clear even now:D:D, maybe I should plumb the mains through it. :p:p

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

18. Pollowick

It was based on te "electrolytic" description rather than magnetic and other electrolytic ones are Zinc based -
    www.sesi.uk.com/media/1499/PF-SESI-domestic4-EN.PDF
    http://scalemaster.co.uk/products/limescale-inhibitors/electrolytic-limescale-inhibitors/
    http://www.calmagltd.com/index.php/our-products/scale-inhibitors/callytic/

I use a Brita filter for drinking water too ... and most of the cooking also. However after about 3 weeks we start to see scale forming in the kettle. I use 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid crystals in 1cm of water, boil it up, then rinse out two or three times.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  19. Phil the Paver

I will when I renew the kitchen (another job), the jug does ok at the mo, filter last about a weeks and only £2.50 ea.

20. Phil the Paver

Similar, 1 cup of white vinagar and one cup of water, boil, leave for 30/40 minutes and rinse.