Do you find it cheaper to leave your heating on 24/7 this time of year

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Welshdragon1, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

I find it considerably cheaper, as it only costs approx £10 - £12 per week mostly nearer the £10 mark though, that's not including any cooking though as that typically adds an extra £3 - £4

Once up to temp, the flat stays warm for ages before the stat needs to kick in

I do turn it down a degree or 2 overnight though or half to 1 degree when out

Boiler is a 4yr old GlowWorm Flexicom 30CX with wireless Drayton DigiStat3+

I also had similar results with the old 6+yr old Baxi boiler that was swapped for the Flexicom 30CX

P.S

I am aware that the Flexicom has the built in AntiFrost function set at approx 4 - 5 degree IIRC

2. But have you compared that to having it almost completely off overnight? And during the day if you're out?

There was a long thread about this from years by, but the simple scientific fact is - the more you keep your heat on, the more gas you use.

The hotter your building, the greater the heat loss (heat is lost through a transfer of heat through areas of a different temp - the inside and outside. The greater that difference, the greater the transfer of heat). The longer you keep it hot, the more heat you lose.

You cannot challenge the basic physics of it all.

However, the amount of extra gas usage is probably worth the added comfort, so I'm pleased you're cosy, Weshie :)