do you really need to paint the backs of skirting boards?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by fobos, Jul 8, 2014.

1. fobos

fobos Member

Hi all

I've been a carpenter for a good number of years and for as long as I can remember when I've fitted door frames, skirting boards, and architraves I've always knotted, primed and undercoated all four sides before fitting.

However recently I've done a few refurbs where we've removed door frames, skirting and architraves that's been in for a few decades and the backs and bottoms have not even been primed and there's been no probs with it.

So I'm now questioning whether I've being going over the top when others seem to not bother.

I can't see that painting the back of skirting stops it from warping as it is securley fixed in place with screws. Maybe the bottoms of these items need painting as they can get wet from people mopping floors. I've heard the arguments that if a plumbing pipe or a rad leaks the back of your timber is protected but what is the chance of that happening?

I've always thought that knotting the back is a good idea to prevent resin leaking under the skirting board.

Please advise/remind me and others what the reason(s) are for knotting, priming and undercoating the backs and bottoms of trim and door frames......... or is it really necessary at all?

kind regards, Andrew

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Seems a bit old school to me and very slow if you're on a price.

3. supertosh

supertosh Member

I used knotting for about 2 years after finishing my apprenticeship, back in Nineteen hundred and frozen to death - price work soon put a stop to that though. ;)

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Let the wood breathe!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A method I believe favoured amongst the quaker community!

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

What you mean your not glossing the back as well as primer, blooody half a job. :)

7. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Ah, when redecorating I always remove the skirtings and give the back at least two coats. :p

8. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

the reversible skirting board description is perhaps, to some, slightly confusing

metrokitchens likes this.