Dodgy Induction Hob Wiring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Herb61, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Herb61

Herb61 New Member

Hi I need a qualified electricians opinion. My ground floor wiring was completed last week as part of insurance flood repars. We have had a Whirlpool induction hob fitted. I noticed the flex was too tight and eased it out from the back of the new kitchen units. The flex isn't secured to the wwll and was loosly run over copper hot water pipes and next to a dishwasher outet pipe. The Induction hob flex had been connected as per photo to the mains cable that and it own circuit to the fuse box. It joined via a yellow block and taped badly. Bearing in mind its going to be behind a dishwasher, how dangerous is this and how should it be done properly? Many thanks H

IMG_20170116_180537-1.jpg

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That is NOT the correct way to make a connection, & yes it should have been done properly with cooker connection unit..

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Very shoddy. Do you know how it was connected before?

4. Herb61

Herb61 New Member

Hi its a new installation of wiring and hob to replace gas hob

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Ah, so the electrics are all new then. Was this work signed off? Not sure if its "notifiable" work but I would have thought so.

I would have done better!

6. Herb61

Herb61 New Member

Thanks Dr - Not signed off yet - it has required a new dedicated circuit and breaker so I think that makes it notifiable.

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

So who's supposed to be signing it off, Building Control, or the sparky (if I dare call him that)? I would not accept this job.

KIAB likes this.
  8. Herb61

Herb61 New Member

I don't know what to expect as I'm the customer and new to all this and the regulatltions. So who should inspect and sign it off - the contractor, the electrician, or independant body?

Should I be given a certificate of sign off?

9. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Hopefully a qualified sparky can butt in here, but I believe this work needs to be signed off either by Building Control or a qualified electrician which has to be the electrician who actually did the work.

So if the electrician who did this work is qualified, then he can sign it off, but looking at the evidence I doubt he is qualified, certainly he's not competent. Otherwise it needs to be signed off by building control. And sign off necessitates a bit of paper, certificate, call it what you will.

You need to ask the people that did this for the certificate that demonstrates it complies with building regs. When was this work done, and is it deemed "complete"?

10. Get in touch with the insurance company and get this bunch of cowboys struck from their list of repairers.
    Insist that they then send a reputable firm to redo the unacceptable standard of workmanship carried out.

11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

That's a good point that Deleted member 11267 makes, its the insurance company that is responsible for this work so I would take up the issue with their claims department.

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Was the work done by the same guy on a recent thread who connected a washing machine waste onto soil branch with lashings of sili and no trap ?? :eek:

13. Herb61

Herb61 New Member

Thanks - I have a complaint with the insurers already as the contractors site managment and checking has been non existant throughout and they are a bunch of disorganised numptys. The work has run over by two months - this is the last straw as it looks potentially dangerous rather than just shoddy so I want to escalate it.

14. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

To be clear on the bits of paper. Your contractor should give you a Electrical Installation Certificate this will include test results. Your contractor, if am member of a Competent Persons Scheme will notify Building Control.

15. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Should have been done properly with black insulation tape, neater job:D:D:oops:

In all seriousness that's not safe under any circumstances and is frankly what is often seen on a dodgy lawnmower cable repair. If that's what they are prepared to do visibly, I'd be concerned about whats hidden.

One for the sparks - Does this require local isolation?

16. Herb61

Herb61 New Member

Thanks Joe95 - It was it wasn't visible until I pulled it out from behind a kitchen unit so it had been deliberately hidden away! Also I found out there's enough slack to wire direct to the hob so no need for a joint anyway - the guy obviously couldn't be arsed to kneel under the unit to wire it direct to the hob!

17. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

A lot of hobs come with a lead already attached. Often the supplied lead is 4 or 5 core, giving you the choice of using different supply options that are available in many European contries,
    but not here:D
    It is often not an option to disconnect it.

All it needs is a proper connection block with proper cable strain relief.
    How many amps is the MCB on the hob circuit?

18. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Does it have isolation switch? Needs to be wired to cooker outlet, total bodge job, demand another spark to put it right with certificates

19. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

That's what I would have thought. I assumed it was ovens and hobs that had to have local isolation.

20. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Neither of them HAVE to have isolation.
    Not ovens, not hobs.
    There is no regulation that says you must.

Joe95 likes this.