Dodgy Induction Hob Wiring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Herb61, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Thanks again. I heard the former from JP:p:p

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You should have listened to him then!:rolleyes::D:p

Joe95 likes this.
  3. Manufacturers instructions have to be adhered to and the means of isolation that they stipulate.

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes, indeed. But I have never seen it as a requirement for an oven or a hob.
    Show me one.

5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Should we call it 'Good Practice' then:).

Does seem a little odd, to have such a high current circuit with the only required means of isolation as the breaker:eek:.
    But then again, there's no shortage of regs that make little sense:rolleyes:.

6. Indesit first one I googled.

GB
    V
    Fig. A
    Fig. B
    Connecting the supply cable to the mains
    WARNINGS: THIS APPLIANCE MUST BE EARTHED.
    Important:
    The cooker must be connected to the mains by a
    switched (double pole) cooker outlet correctly fused with a
    capacity appropriate to that shown on the cooker Rating Plate.
    All electrical wiring from the consumer unit to the cooker, via the
    switched double pole cooker outlet, must be of an acceptable
    type and current rating as above.
    Note:
    the supply cable must be positioned so that it never
    reaches at any point a temperature 50°C higher than the room
    temperature. The cable must be routed away from the rear vents.

7. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Manufacturers instructions don't have to be adhered to (134.1.1) .... You just have to take them in to account. 537.3.1.1 Means of switching off for mechanical maintenance shall be provided where mechanical maintenance may involve a risk of physical injury, Note one of this reg mentions heating elements as an example. 537.3.2.1 Note lists multi pole switches, circuit breakers, control and protective switching devices, control switch operating a contactor and a plug and socket-outlet as examples of achieving this.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  8. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I wouldn't install any oven or hob without means of isolation and any decent spark would surely do the same no matter what the regs say

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

U sure about that Baz?..:)

KIAB likes this.
  10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes, I am sure that there is no regulation in BS7671.
    As Deleted member 11267 has found, some MIs have other ideas.

As a junction is required for that cable, I suggest that a 45A switch on patress is just fitted in that cupboard space.

11. Yes now as they have changed it in the third ammendment.

"Good workmanship by competent persons or persons under their supervision and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. Electrical equipment shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the equipment."
    to:
    "Good workmanship by skilled (electrically) or instructed (electrically) persons and proper materials shall be used in the erection of the electrical installation. The installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufacturers’ instructions." Some new symbols have been included in the definitions.