Does anyone actually does their Main Shopping at Screwfix?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by wau5, Sep 16, 2016.

1. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

In defence of Screwfix,I bought a torch last December,only used it half a dozen times and last week it didn't work.I rang them on the off chance as there was no mention of any warranty when I bought it and now they no longer stock the item.A guy called Adam dealt with my call and tbh I couldn't fault him,it took him all of 5 minutes and he'd arranged for me to take it back to my local branch and they'd give me a new one of a similar type.Now can you imagine doing that with some other companies? only last month I had issues with Halfords over a faulty radio that I'd only purchased a month earlier,80 quids worth by the way,and I had some numpty trying to tell me I'd fitted it wrong,it's plug and play! Then when that didn't work he said as I'd bought it at a reduced price there was no warranty! It was only when I started to lose my rag and make dire threats about the sale of goods act and trading standards that he sorted it out.In the end it took 2 days and a load of stress,if the op isn't happy with the service he's getting then nobody forces him to shop there,do they? People are all too keen to whinge about poor service these days but how many will actually comment when they get good service?

2. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Just stating my experience.. think I'm entitled to that since I do shop at there?
    the few times I have took the stuff right away to exchange I haven't had problems, but the fact that you get so many returned items which haven't been checked if they are still in decent condition troubles me! Other companies just wholesale most of their returned items, I get it that you can't wholesale to someone a scratched up £19 fan but still that's not a good way to run a business just to try and flog to random people items that are just not up to scratch anymore! If someone messes up an item and just returns it for no reason whatsover than they just shouldn't take it back no questions asked and try to sell it later on.

you sure pollowick the website is working for you right now? ;)

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Simple really isn't ;) bit like picking up the phone and calling the support team..........

4. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Don't be silly. Why talk to real human being when you can passive-aggressively post anonymous messages on an Internet forum?

5. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

I think a lot of retailers could model themselves on Screwfix - its brilliant. Click and Collect is so fast my order is ready before I've even left my front door. My local Toolstation has queues which just wastes my time. The parking at TS is terrible so i get blocked in while somebody is still inside queuing. But agreed the Screwfix website search engine is rubbish - hard to find items to match. On Balance I still like Screwfix because there's loads of stores nearby and miles cheaper than diy stores.

6. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Agreed on the website. It used to be great but then I think Kingfisher used the same (probably cheap Indian) company to do the website as they did for B&Q - which has always been entirely useless.

KIAB likes this.
  7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Screwfix is number one for me

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

wau (sounds like a baby crying ;)) only came on here to tell us he thought it was different number - probably 2

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wanted another of the XQ Lite 20w LED Site Light (25741) our hosts stocked, it's been discontinued.:(

Wish our host stocked the twin 30w version of this site light.

http://www.luceco.com/uk/work-lights

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Maybe you like a number 2 better? ewwww

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The Twin 30w head tripod worklight is what I want, has a great base, can find the 20w twin easy, but 30w twin is harder to source.:(

[​IMG]

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I got rid of my tripod lights years ago - always found them a pain either knocking them over with materials or tripping over the leads. I use battery power ones for where I am working or 110v festoon lights for bigger areas