Does expanding foam absorb damp?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by FatHands, Sep 18, 2013.

1. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

hiya,

I wouldn't have thought so as ive seen it used on interior and exterior walls, but thought i should check.

Someone has been a bit over enthusiastic making an entry for my waste pipe in the past and i planned on use foam for the interior wall and tidying it up with cement on the outside but not sure if it would attract/hold moisture like i think someone told me bonding coat will.

Cheers

Fats

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

it certainly does absorb moisture, so a waterproof render is required, or paint if applicable

3. FatHands

Ah right. Any other suggestions for this Sean- perhaps cement on the inside too?
    Thanks
    fats

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

render or plaster, or paint if it's going to be visible - or hide it behind plasterboard

internally it won't suffer the affects of UV and the weather so it's more of a visual finishing to suit

5. FatHands

Render it is. Thanks for your (continued) help on matters!

Cheers

Fats

6. surfermick

surfermick New Member

if once it has set it is left uncut it is waterproof but once it is cut into in will absorb water.

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

waterproof and water resistant aren't the same thing - most are deemed to be resistant, they certainly aren't UV resistant so aren't intended for long term exposure

8. surfermick

surfermick New Member

but as its only being used on the inside wall then foam would indeed be waterproof enough for the purpose. you are making the job more dfiiicult than it needs to be. I therefore question who gives you a "correct answer" for your incorrect answer

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

if points where awarded for pedantry ....

10. surfermick

surfermick New Member

no Sean, not pedantry, (i have reported your abusive comment)  Im pointing out the fact that the foam is clearly to be used on the interior wall which means that it will be waterproof enough. therefore as i said your advice is wrong and its overkill for an interior wall.

11. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

it's a waste pipe, so I assume it starts inside and ends up outside - the foam is probably showing externally, hence FHs comment about tidying it up - outside

I'm aware you have a mission Mick, but please stop trying a make an issue out of a very simple question, and answer

12. surfermick

surfermick New Member

more abuse reported.

13. surfermick

surfermick New Member

Fathands suggests using foam on the interior wall and render on the ouside, as the foam will not bridge the cavity i feel that he means only rendering up the oytside, that will suffice.

14. FatHands

Morning,

Thanks for posting, although didnt mean to cause any arguements.

Its going to brick, so guess render or expanding foam will be fine.

Thanks for all your continued help

Fats

15. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Morning Fats. Normal way is to use dpr (mortar with waterproofer added) on the exterior and expanding foam on the inner wall. However depending on the position of the wall (it maybe is north facing and subject to more damp then normal) then it would be dpr on both the inner and outer. If it is a bathroom the waste pipe is situated in then dpr on both inner and outer walls is more then likely indicated - do not use plaster either internally or externally. I believe this aligns with what Mick has already posted.

Sean try actually working on site as opposed to reading books/googling etc, and posting stuff which might cause the op to do more work then is necessary.

16. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

JP, my grandfather was a master builder, my father was deemed to be the same by definition of his profession, a profession from which I've not so long retired from - I've spent most of my life (not just my working life) on sites all over the world, I've built most of the homes I've lived in, I run a very successful small development and maintenance company, my office is a fairly grubby 5 year old LWB Renault Master .......... whilst this may not suit your desire to antagonise and bolster your point, it is the reality

the question asked if expanding foam absorbs damp - yes it does

it's a council built property, they are oft built either single skinned, or without a cavity - so any wall penetration, sealed internally is likely to see some damp

even if there is a cavity, due to the height of the penetration, the internal cavity outer face will see some moisture - so it is highly recommended that a waterproof, not water resistant finished is applied when EF has been used

I appreciate that you may not have agreed with my methods, this forum is about exchanging ideas and views, perhaps your angst would be more productively addressed to a number of so called trusted members who, based on the quality of their advise, would appear to have learnt their ''trade'' watching a couple of episodes of Sixty Minute Makeover

I didn't come here to bicker ............

17. FatHands

JP, Sean - Thanks for all your advice; not just on this but everything to date. Didn't mean to start a row. Sorry fella's.

I will probably be tidying up the bathroom one on the weekend. My local builders merchants recommended "SPR" - a blue tub which is mixed in (something like 1:4) with the mortar which increases bonding and waterproofs at the same time. It gives off a blue ish tint on the mix.  Does this sound OK?

I will also have another waste to tidy up on the ground floor for the kitchen. This time, its butting up against 12mm plasterboard (painted) which was dabbed directly to the brick (no render).  The wall has a cavity with no insulation and about 150mm above the damp course. External wall is rendered. Is either expanding foam, or white silicone OK in this situation (inside of course, render with waterproof mix on the outside)?

Many thanks

Fats

18. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you didn't start a row FH, nothing to be saying sorry for .....

SBR ;)

19. FatHands

that's the stuff! Will use that. :)

Thanks, as always,

Fats

20. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Best I can say is where there's a hole needs filling, fill it with similar to what was taken out.

Fill it as much as possible with brick and cement if it's in brick or block, leaving sealing for sealers(whether foam or silicone).

With a pipe through a wall, I might stick foam on the pipe in the cavity, for insulation, and to fill where I don't want me cement falling through into the cavity when applying it.

And for anyone's information( or Sean's to be more precise) I don't get info from DIY shows.

I'm old enough to have done this stuff, and improved the methods for my own benefit.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really