Does sticks like **** stick to smooth tiles

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Gary Hatfield, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Gary Hatfield

Gary Hatfield New Member

Hey,

Does anyone know if "Stick like ****" will stick to smooth bathroom tiles? I'm trying to put up some habitat towel holders and toilet roll holders, and the tiles are super thick, and have broken a few drill bits. So I was thinking of trying to stick them to the tiles . . . if not, does anyone have any other suggestion for a potential solution.

Thanks in advance.

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Stick like 5hit will probably work for the toilet roll holder but I doubt very much for the towel holder.

Don't bodge it, buy a tile drill bit and do a proper job.

3. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

I agree with wiggy, I've come across toilet roll holders held on tiles with grip fill etc and it works but a decent whack has removed them, so I'd be dubious of the weight of a towel rail and towels being solely reliant on it.
    Are you just using standard masonry bits? If so spend the money on a set of tile drill bits rather than the adhesive like these http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-tile-glass-drill-bit-set-3pcs/53634 or even a good quality masonry bit if you're using an cheaper one at the moment, makes the world of difference.

4. Gary Hatfield

Gary Hatfield New Member

The drill bits that broke actually belonged to a handyman I used, and he told me that they were tile drill bits, but that the tiles were just too thick . . . sounds like my bets bet is to try those drill bits you recommended, worse case scenario it costs me a fiver if they break.

Thanks for your help guys!

5. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

I take it the drill bit at least started to make a hole though? If so then the thickness shouldn't make a lot of difference, just have drill set to high speed but don't push hard at all , let the drill bit do the work, most of the time drill bits will snap from excess pressure on them causing them to flex, this and heat build up, so keep bringing the drill out of the hole to clear the dust and if it's that hard have a pot of water to dunk it in in between to cool it off.
    If the bits were already used by the handy man then there's a good chance they were reasonably blunt already and that would lead to trying to put more force behind it causing it to break, even a cheap bit new will go through most things like butter for a few holes.

6. Gary Hatfield

Gary Hatfield New Member

Thanks, that's really useful :)

7. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I've used a cheapo tile drill from T**lst*****n to drill through wall & floor tiles in my kitchen with a cordless drill on slow speed. No problem :) If you need to enlarge the holes, I've found the Bosch multi-material drill bits very good.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

And maybe try with a smaller bit to make a hole first. The bigger bit will usually fly through then.(ie for a 6mm hole, make a 3mm hole first).
    I have a solid glass/tile cutter that I push and twist into tiles for helping to start drilling.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Some people put a bit of masking tape over the tile and mark the point where they want to drill. (supposedly stops the drill bit slipping on the glazed surface) But for better accuracy, I mark the tile then use a centre punch and hammer. Lightly tap the centre punch where you want the centre of the hole to be, just enough to break the glaze. The drill will now sit in the small indentation and not wander, when you start drilliing. ;);)