domestic plumbing or site plumbing?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by goatscheese, Jun 28, 2007.

1. goatscheese

goatscheese New Member

Morning guys, currently working with a one-man band doing plumbing heating etc. in folks houses and that.

Mate of mine starting up self employed soon, subbing on sites. he has worked on sites for years and has always made decent dollars.

he has asked me if i want to come and work for him.

for:

more money
    better hours
    more family time

against:

boring repetitive work?
    he might not get the work in

dont wanna ** on the bloke im with, bin with him 2 years, taught me a lot. just got me plumbing nvq 2 and am looking at doing gas quals now.

head is spinning, do i go for site work or stick with where i am?

[Edited by: admin5]

2. *welsh.wizard*

*welsh.wizard* New Member

for:

more money
    better hours
    more family time

against:

boring repetitive work?
    he might not get the work in

No contest really.

3. gasrate

gasrate New Member

I'd go for it. I'm a one man band and ive let my apprentice go cos the works dried up on the domestic side. Shame really as he is in exactly the same position as you are and its difficult for all concerned. Im off 2 do site work on my own just like the old days and it aint so bad, infact its a better laff.

4. frank_syntax

frank_syntax New Member

gasrate
    well said about site work ....
    an you can take the ** out of them daft sparks ,:)

[Edited by: admin5]

5. kimble

kimble New Member

Site work anyday!!

I hate being bored. At moment doing a heating fit a day and also running round snagging in between.

Always a laugh.

I think the only set back is working with some of the other trades when the sometimes screw you up.
    For instance today, had to go and replace a cooker bayonet point and hose just because the plasterers thought it was in there remit to remove it, **** it up and leave a leak (riddor didn't come into it as clerk of works didn't want hassle).
    Then having to wait one and half hours for sparks to turn up and put a temp lead on boiler (we can't touch it cos of site policy)so it can be commissioned even though you phone 2 hours in advance and keep reminding them again and again.

Other than that it's tops

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I enjoy domestic:

All those cups of tea, home made cakes, cash, being your own boss, seeing the job thru from beginning to end, did I mention cash? ;)

7. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

For my type of work (Bathrooms) I'd go for domestic every single time. You can take your time and get things done properly and to the highest standards.

For me site work would mean losing a lot of money and your standards are going to slip without doubt.

8. gasrate

gasrate New Member

I suppose thats the good thing about plumbing, variety and you can change if you want. As it goes I dont do many bathrooms I do mainly HTG/HW plus breakdowns so abit of site work will give me the benefit of someone elses take on things. Plus all those **** mags...more tea mr electrician you superior man of wire & volts etc etc