Domestic Water Black Pipe Advice

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jonnn, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Jonnn

Jonnn Member

Hello,
    I am wondering if someone can provide me with some advice about the black pipe that provides the water to my house. I would like to move the stopcock.

The house was built in the early 70's.
    The pipe is about 21.5 mm thick.
    It feels rubbery.
    It feels in pretty good condition.
    The stopcock is at the top of the picture, wrapped in clingfilm.
    The copper out of the top of the stopcock is 15mm.
    The pip runs a route, next to the red line in the attached picture. (Apologies for this not being my best camera work ever.) Comes out the floor, goes behind the soil pipe, which has a towel on it on the photo, under the joist and up to the stopcock.

I need to move the stopcock, because it is in just the wrong place for the new unit that's going there. My questions are:
    1) Is this pipe flexible? It feels like it's going to be. One option I have is to leave the stopcock attached, disconnect the copper, and swing the pipe left (off picture) to where the new sink will be. This is my preferred option, because it's simple and i don't have to go outside to turn the water off.
    2) The stopcock could go to the right, but the black pipe would need to be longer. To do this I think I need a stiffener in the end of the pipe (I assume there is already one in place) and some sort of compression fitting. I'm happy to buy a few and take the ones back that I don't need, but I'm still a little unsure as to what the compression fitting I need is. If I had one that reduces the width to 15mm, I then can then use a 15mm stopcock. Does that sound like a good idea and what compression fit would I use?

Thanks for the help,
    Jon

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You could use a Philmac 3G Metric/Imperial fitting, this would allow you to join imperial black LDPE pipe to the blue MDPE pipe.
    Then use a Philmac Universal Transition Coupling, this takes you from blue mdpe to copper, use a full bore lever valve instead of usual stopcock, far easier to operate.

http://www.philmac.co.uk/

http://www.screwfix.com/p/full-bore-lever-ball-valve-15mm/80413

Be careful with the black pipe it can become very brittle & break easily.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Jonnn and Joe95 like this.
  3. Jonnn

Jonnn Member

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If they are Universal transition couplings then yes., & your black pipe should be Class C.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Jonnn likes this.
  5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I always used use 22mm to 15mm coupling and change the 22 olive for a 3/4 one

Jonnn likes this.
  6. Jonnn

Jonnn Member

Thanks for the info folks.
    I'll give it a whirl.