Don't know how to download stuff... :-(

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Well, the time came when I couldn't hold off buying my son his first mobile phone, starting - as he was - at secondary school. Last year.

Anyways, as a treat I sourced him a beaut from a dodgy Chinese site. Akshully, it is a beaut - quad-core and s*, but the really nifty thing is that it's super-rugged and waterproof Neken make, I think, and fully-encased in black and orange rubber. Nifty. It cost over £100 :(

Anyways, then comes the biggie - the 'contract'. The phone bills. The sapping of pennies.

And so it was I got him TalkTalk's cheapest deal - £3.50 a month. :)

This has - ooh - 100 minutes? 200 texts? 200MB of downloads? (The last one I negotiated up from 100MB for no extra money - gosh I'm good.

So, the problem? So far he's had the phone for 10 months and has used it a lot. A total of zero minutes, zero texts and zero downloads (all the calls he makes are to 'home' - and they're all free as we are TT as well.)

Anyways, apart from obviously having a dysfunctional kid, what I'd like to know is - how do you do 'downloads'? What is a download? What can you download? How do you download?

I mean, at home he accesses the internet with it for everything he wants. So what is this actual 200MB download capacity he's been given?

It's a dual-sim machine, but he has only a normal (I dunno - 2G?) SIM in it. Does he need a 3G SIM before he can 'download'?

How do you download?

Ta muchly.

(I'll make the b* use his phone more if it's the last thing I do... :rolleyes:)

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The download isn't a download as such, it's the amount of internet he can use for free.

When he's at home I assume he uses the house WiFi, if so this is free as far as his contracts goes, so isn't using any of his download, if he was to access the internet outside of the WiFi range this would then be using his allocated download, this varies massively depending on what he was doing on the internet, watching vids on YouTube will gobble up the MBs while just looking at written pages won't use hardly any MBs.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I was under the impression that 'downloads' was any internet activity, just browsing.
    If used at home though, connected through your home network, maybe download data doesn't get counted. Wi-fi, hotspots etc count.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Oh yes. As above.

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Using the WiFi at home, or in a pub/club/anywhere that allows free connection to it , doesn't count towards the data used on a smartphone. It's only when you use it outside of a free WiFi area and it connects through 3g/ 4g. Every page you open on the internet this way is using up an amount of data. Even just refreshing the page, reloads the data onto the phone

6. Ah! Of course! Thank you Phil, Mr Ha and JJ.

Cool - of course - that makes sense; it's chust any general internet surfing using his phone.

Ok, does he need a special SIM for that? Or, if he uses a Google Apps browser will it work? Does he need 3G?

Should the SIM he was given by TT provide this service - since the downloading service was part of the contract?

Ta muchly.