door closer on upvc door

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by leicester builder, Mar 13, 2011.

1. A customer has asked me to fit a door closer on a upvc door, has anyone done this or know of any problems I'm going to get or if they can be used on a upvc door

2. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

An overhead closer?

3. I think thats my only choice, if even that would work.

4. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Biggest problem is finding sumat decent to screw in to! :(

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Unfortunately, probably best to bolt straight through. Yuk. Even then, you need enough area to do that.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Cheers andy, I just gotta tell a customer that, But its case of customer thinks he knows best. Its the front door of a clinic, His original problem was that the door slammed when people shut it, so he was looking for a solution, has anyone got an idea, something like a soft closer but that didn't stop them closing it

7. woodywomble

woodywomble New Member

Is it inward or outward opening, this uPVC door, i.e. are you putting the door closer on the pull side or push side?  Lots of uPVC doors are outward opening, in which case you'd need to put it in the  61 fixing position (upside down on the transom, with the arm on the door).  Check you've got enough space and like Handyandy says, definietly bolt through the plastic, prefereably the arm AS WELL as the body - use big washers on the other side.  Some door closers have mounting plates available so you can fix them really firm with as many fixing points as possible before attaching the closer.