Door filler diff colour, what next ?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by JAzer, Jan 4, 2017.

1. JAzer

JAzer Member

Hello
    I had some over boarded doors, which were dipped. The doors had lots of nail holes from where they were over boarded.

The holes have been filled with ronseal natural wood filler (I fear this was a mistake) and it has dried a lot lighter than the door colour.
    I had some osmo oil for the doors, but it doesn't darken the filler.

How do I get the filler same colour as door now for oiling? Or do I have to abandon the oil now and do it a different way?

Bit annoyed with myself because I think I've cocked this up. Should have asked before applying filler.

Help much appreciated
    Thanks
    Jay

2. JAzer

JAzer Member

3. JAzer

JAzer Member

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You will need to sand all the doors to an even finish, it looks like you have only sanded where you have filled the tack holes, the infill panels looks like the caustic has dried leaving a ghost residue this needs to be neutralised with weak solution of Glacial Acetic Acid or you could use a neat solution of distilled malt vinegar however this may be a little weak. Colouring in the filler patches could be done with artists oil paints and blended in with the grain.

A coat of cellulose sanding sealer finished with Briwax Antique Brown wax applied with 0000 wire wool and buffed up with a shoe brush and duster will give superb results.

5. JAzer

JAzer Member

Thank you for the detailed reply!
    I will look or the artist oil paints. Would I be able to use the osmo oil after this? It's just I ordered from Amazon and don't want the hassle of sending back. Or do I need to forget it and go with the briwax? Thank you!

6. JAzer

JAzer Member

*look at

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The osmo could dissolve the artists oil paint, so if you go the osmo route it would probably be best to colour the filler after the osmo has dried as the osmo could/might darken the pine wood colour.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Coulda filled them with putty. That would take a stain to get it matched before polishing.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Always a good idea to do a few trial holes first!

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Could always try and find a "French Polisher" A good one may be able to disguise the filler, restore the timber after the ravages of the dip and put a lacquer on top to seal it.

11. JAzer

JAzer Member

Thanks for all the replies - really appreciate it.
    I'm going to tackle it at the weekend and let you know how I get on.
    Cheers

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Post some more pics!