door handle height ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dirtydeeds, Jan 4, 2008.

1. lamello

lamello New Member

Just to confirm for me. on a flush door mine go on at 1000. On panel doors my handles will always go on at the same position on the door in relation to the panels. If you position all handles at 1000 from the floor on panel doors and the panels are not at exactly the same height due to the linings being marginally different then they look funny if they at the same height but slightly differnt position

2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

the secret to good second fix carpentry is in the tiny details

the linings should all be set at the same height to start with. that way you avoid this problem.

i learned this when an old forman told me to reset all the linings

3. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

re read your post lamello, by the way happy new year

on panel doors, the handles have to be set centred on the mid rail so its even more crucial to to set all the linings to the same level

4. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

well you should never put the handle center t the mid rail as you drill half the joint out. As for setting them all the same in relation to the panels, well isnt that just pointing out the obvious

5. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

cotb that is incorrect and bad information

the lock should be centred on the mid rail. specifically so you dont damage the joint

traditional mortice and tennoned doors have mid rails with split tennons which is why the lock is positioned centrally

plus if it isnt centred on the rail it looks wrong

6. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

37" from top of door.

7. starlight tiles

all well and good saying what height,but what if the keeper is at a different height.
    do u go with your height of lock and splice keeper position to suit.
    generally we match up to the existing keeper unless customer asks for keeper to be spliced/which never happens.
    37" from top of door on all new linings.

8. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

dirtydoo, bad information helps no one and confuses diyers

even you should know that handle positions are measured from the floor

9. lamello

lamello New Member

Mr deeds. I am talking about a job where linings are in already. If I put them in then they will all be spot on. Chip it isnt stating the obvious because if you hang a panel door properly in linings that are already in the top of the door should remain as uncut a possible so the panels are in the same position relative to the head of the lining, if there is then a discrepancy in the height of the linings then the mid rail may be higher or lower in relation to the floor. Plenty of people then make up a story stick mark it up relative to the floor on the first door and then mark up all the rest off it.you can then end up with the handles in different places in relation to the panels. Plenty of people do it. As long as there isnt a massive difference you should set out using the panels as a datum point as opposed to the floor as datum point. Dirtydoo/lennie/mazball/75 a door what are we going to do with you. measuring off the top of the door is not the right way. so according to your method 39" down is the right position, so all your customers with metric doors are 58mm taller than you customers with imperials? As for putting the handles where the old ones were, that my friend is why I charge £75 a door plus £5 disposal for the old one and may do three in a day and you charge less than a tenner and do 25 in a day. Horses for courses mate. I guess you could call me red rum and you the donkey off rentaghost.

10. starlight tiles

well mr lamello nothing changes .i see you sarcasm and wit is as funny as a hole in the head.
    everyone to their own way of working.
    me thinks your 1 of them joiner's who thinks it's your way or no way.
    you'll learn son.
    every joiner i know matches up latch to existing keeper, but no, not mr perfect lamello who i think leads a very sad life.

11. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

and regarding the measurement from the top of the door????????

12. chip off the block

well i measure first off the floor and rest the same measurement off the panel, i assume this would be obvious to anybody that hangs door quite often. As for handles postioned central to the mid rail i think thats a load of rubbish as mine are 850 to the center which would not meet regs.

13. chip off the block

1 more think most of the handle i fit(appart from round rose type) do not have the latch center to the handle so if like you said center the handle the latch will go into the tenon

14. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

cotb

the top of door measurement wasnt made at you, it was at our multi named collegue with rather dodgy comments and installation times

i agree some doors are made that quite simply make it impossible to install locks at a height that conforms to the regs

15. chip off the block

i just never fit them center to the rail i think it looks odd unless it is knobs being used then it is only way it looks right. I guess it is personal preferance really

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

cotb that is incorrect and bad information

the lock should be centred on the mid rail.
    specifically so you dont damage the joint

traditional mortice and tennoned doors have mid rails
    with split tennons which is why the lock is
    positioned centrally

plus if it isnt centred on the rail it looks wrong

Are 'mid' rails often in the centre of a door ?

Mr. Handyandy - really

17. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Reason I asked the above is coz I know they are not, so it knocks on the head those that say centre of door AND midrail cetre.

Ideal place on a panel door(in my opinion) is with door handle plate ¾ on side rail and ¼ on midrail, so that latch and follower holes are drilled in solid(no joints) and the bottom screws for the plate also screw into solid(no joints)top part of midrail.

That's approximately 1000mm up from floor. So any non-panelled doors(flush of no midrail) should follow this height.

Mr. Handyandy - really

19. starlight tiles

who's arsed.only mr perfect deeds.

20. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

oh im cut to the quick