Door hang prices

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by wizwoz, Apr 17, 2010.

1. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are under-cutting yourself mate. If she can afford 2.5k for curtains then she can afford the going rate for painting and decorating. Time to re-think your pricing :)

2. Rob Bowery

Rob Bowery New Member

Yeah agreed, just need to get more contacts or get my van sign written as word of mouth can only get you so much work.

Feels a bit like a double edged sword, charge more per day and earn more money but risk the chance of putting people off and not having any work.

3. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

getting your van designed well and sign written is a good idea (dont forget to tell your insurer when you do).

Know what you mean about the pricing. i know people who work for a tad less than they/the job is worth on the basis that they would rather a near constant trickle of work. i also know people who charge at the top-end of the scale and happy doing less jobs/gaps in-between. horses for courses mate!

4. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I got my van sign written from new and have had one passing enquiry from it in 7 years, which came to nothing, front, back, both sides, two colours, cost near £400 if i remember rightly.
    Not really effective. In hindsight I would not have bothered.

Word of mouth all day long, talk to everyone and give out cards, if your just starting take on everything.

As for pricing, I tend to go by how busy I am and how much I want the job. Decide what your minimum rate is and start from there.

FatHands likes this.
  5. two trowels

two trowels New Member

I always price everything lately at £150 per day (per man) I expect I'm winning about a third of what I price. I sometimes think the 'win' rate should be better but clearly that rate puts folk off, and yet other customers say things like 'that will be fine, when can you start'

I know other builders that price work way higher than that and seem to keep busy.

What is your usual pricing day rate?

6. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I need a new hollow fibre bathroom door supplied and hung.

I've been quoted £185+VAT!

I'd rather they replied with that they didn't want the job than be insulted with an absurd price.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

At least £50 more than that.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If that's central London it's about right.

9. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member

It's not, it's south Cumbria.

10. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

A decent enough door is about 50. No point getting the cheapest. You need leave a lasting impression.
    Setting up a job is again about 50. Petrol, parking, admin, replacement items such as router bits and so on.
    So it is reasonable.

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Double then!

12. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

So, nowhere near anywhere else meaning travelling, three hinges, a bathroom lock and door handles plus collecting and supplying the door - You're not going to get much else done that day - not far off when you add for profit on the materials. It might be high but I don't think it's absurd personally.

13. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member

The joiner is in the same town, it's not as if I've asked a joiner from London to come and do the job.

14. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Where does he get the door from? Even deliveries can be 25 quid

15. Carl Spiby

Carl Spiby Member

Probably howdens in town.

Travelling wise, you're looking no more than 10 minutes and that includes picking up the door.

Just to clarify, south Cumbria isn't just fields and livestock.

16. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I agree.
    I would probably charge at least 200. £150 minimum for the day plus materials/expenses
    Ok you could argue that it wouldn't take a day and you would be right but what is the guy supposed to do for the rest of the day.

RB Joinery likes this.
  17. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Supply and fit for 185.

100 Labour as a one off door.

85 door and furniture.

Where's the problem.

RB Joinery and wiggy like this.
  18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

£185....pretty good guess that the chippies electric plane cost in excess of that!

RB Joinery and wiggy like this.
  19. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Door min £30
    Furniture and hinges min £20
    Router bits and saw blade ware £10

That leaves £125 to collect door and furniture, to hang a door and leave your home in as if no one had been there, pack away tools that he has had to pay hundreds of £ for, pay the fuel to get there and home and pay 20% income tax to the government, When home do the Invoicing, And pay his liability and vehicle insurance!!

Personally I would charge £150 for a single door a days labour and would also be charging 20% margin on the materials

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You forgot the 7% - 9% end of tax year additional contribution for National Insurance....that's extra to the weekly stamp.

Joe95 and SWBUILDERS like this.