Door hang prices

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by wizwoz, Apr 17, 2010.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The problem with doors is that you never know if it is going to be a quick job or an all dayer.

Sometimes you can get a door and frame which are a good match and there is very little to do apart from fitting the hinges and door furniture.

Other times is can be a real swine where the frame is out of square or worse still twisted vertically, hinge sockets are split with snapped off screws, floors which rise up as you open the door. The carpenter may have been in the area for years and may know the property you are in and could be aware of these sort of issues.

The problem with this is these are it could take an entire day to resolve and he won't be able to do any other paid work to fill in the day.

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  2. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

im not saying the price is high or he shouldn't charge that, as everyone is saying its a one off job, but if a qualified/competent joiner cant hang 1 hollow door in less than a few hours, irrespective of how bad the frame is i think they should consider changing jobs.

P. Gee likes this.
  3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If it was a "solid" door I would agree 100% but a hollow door can be a real swine to fit, if you have to cut into more than the thickness of the timber edge and have to cut and glue everything.

Saying that everything could be plumb and square and the guy could be out in little time

4. I think this is 1 of those cases where it sounds expensive but isn't really when analysed.

But how much do you think you should be paying ? What would you consider the low to high ball park figures ?

Astramax likes this.
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I wouldn't quote unless I had seen the location, the type of door, fittings etc. If the existing door was available it would be so much easier and simpler. So could be as simple as £50 upwards for fitting only then obviously materials on top

6. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

I always quote £65 for fitting internal doors, £85 for fire doors, but I stress that the price may rise slightly if the stop has to be removed and refitted. That doesn't include any materials. Having said that I have to quote for fitting 13 oak doors, so as my arms aren't like Popeye's the price will rise somewhat. I certainly agree with the comment on a site visit before quoting, I've been stung too many times!

7. Bertiebasset

Bertiebasset Member

Good for you! The end result is all that matters, id rather my boys take the extra time to do the job right, than to do it quickly and pay for it later. Price every job individually, as much as, if you hung a door 1 week and it went great, that's not to say it will the next week, you must factor everything into your price and not sell yourself short, always do a site visit, check the job, speak with your client, get an idea of any trouble you might run into during the job, petrol/diesel to get to and from the job, have you to collect the materials? , is their a possibility you might have to move the door stops a touch (that's extra work), do you have to do any glazing (sometimes you do!) letter plate cut out, locks, spyholes (front doors im talking now) all these things need factored into any pricing up, most people will pay a decent price for a decent job, take your time do it right, do it once and price every job on its merit and you will not go far wrong.

Bertie

RB Joinery and P. Gee like this.
  8. TartanPaint

TartanPaint Member

Just read this thread ... the worms were still alive 7 years on!

9. Robert McIntosh

Robert McIntosh New Member

Hi guys I live in the northwest been self employed now 4 years reading this has made me understand a lot. I had a customer who rang me. I was recommend buy 2 different customers who I had done doors for in the past she wanted 12 oak internal doors from wickes fitted she had all handles and latches and handles. My door prices never change my price was £600 for all 12 doors to be hung latched and handles fitted. This didnt included removing old doors from site. She was not happy with that quote telling me point blank her "mates fella" will do them for £200 on the weekend. My next comment was ok love good luck and walked off. 2 weeks later gets a call from same customer asking me to call round and have a look at the doors as o never fitted and had been and measured up I charged her £20 just to go look at the problem. On arrival i noticed all the old doors I'm the front garden on her grass went in side to most shocking job i have ever seen this mates fella is a time served joiner. He basically took the old doors off got the new door put hinges on fitted the latches and handles and screwed them to the frames quoting to the customer they will srink if she puts her heating on haha. Anyway the latches not chopped out hinges not sunk in job was shocking and she paid him the £200. I felt so bad for her I did the doors and disposed of the old doors never changed my price tho and also charged for disposing of doors 3 years to get my quilifcations I have about 12 gtands worth of tools, van van insurance public liability tax, ect all ads up. They dont pay for time they pay for experience your trade you spent 3 years learning. Of Baghead Dave can do it for a few quid so he can go the pub let him. My work is from word of mouth I travel all over the place I have even drove 206 miles just to fit a kitchen granted had to stay over close to the job for a week do a job how you would have it in your house.

10. Boxman

Boxman New Member

I don't know if you ever saw Lovejoy on TV? He once bought a series of prints and the girl with him told him that he had made £10k in 20 minutes, he said "Twenty minutes and twenty five years learning. I think this says it all.

Including after my apprenticeship and I went to collage for longer than a solicitor and the demand for chippies is higher round here than it is for lawyers so why am I not getting £200.00 an hour?

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Easy...........Solicitors can spell college! ;):p

12. Boxman

Boxman New Member

Brilliant, back to making pictures out of sticky paper for me. That will teach me for posting 3 pints in.

Although I once had a run in with a lawyer who spelt the vertical member of a door frame jam.

Astramax likes this.
  13. chillimonster

chillimonster Screwfix Select

Thank you gents, a great thread with contributions from the respected S.F. carpentry
    regulars.

14. RB Joinery

RB Joinery New Member

£75 a door IS THE STANDARD. If you want only 1 door fitting then expect more. It costs time and money for companies to work. IT DOESN'T ALl GO IN OUR POCKETS. On average it cost £75 to pay for a share of the advert. Tool wear & tear. Planner blades. Vehicle cost. Account cost to do books only comes from payed jobs you do. Trade is not a free advice service w& travel hear there & everywhere for nothing. That would put up the price above £135 per door at least.
    So charging £75 per door over the phone for fitting is a sensible and cost effective way for both parties. True cost is £75 in company fees expenses which we pay per job. So in actual fact if we fit 2 doors at £75 each = £150 we would be lucky to get £75 from that job.
    Don't forget we don't get holiday pay. Sick pay. Maternity pay. Employers pension contribution.
    Those who say £75 is to much are * * Freud if paying obviously for unregistered companies. NON TAX Registered people to do the work. They are just as liable as they who employ.
    This is a legal fact.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2020
  15. RB Joinery

RB Joinery New Member

Obviously you are one of the unlawful abiding citizens who refuse to pay taxes.
    Who would make children and adults work for nothing in a swetshop. Won't pay towards the NHS or to societys welfare. You must agree with Nazis ideology. Slave labour. What death camps. Take it your q little sore over Brexit.
    Fact inland revenue have stated £350 per day for a trade allowing £100 for costs per day per job. 4 doors a day professional fitted is only £300 and include site quote, shopping for materials and office work,. Every one day on site is actually 2 days work and that's for the jobs you do get paid for after all the time wasters like yourself who expect everything for nothing. Like to see how you feel if you're boss didn't pay you for your questionable hard work.
    Fact construction work especially in the wood trades is far and few between. You my only get 1 job every couple of weeks. So £300 would be 2 weeks minus business costs for alot of trade people. And we aren't the ones claiming benefits ?

16. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Obviously a troll, and you have replied, oh dear.

Synergy Team likes this.
  17. Synergy Team

Synergy Team New Member

18. Synergy Team

Synergy Team New Member

Any one fitting a door for £20 sounds desperate.......and will not be around to sort any problems that may occur in the future, he/she i must be PC correct here.... must have a bag of bones of tools, claiming working tax credit, living with a partner that is claiming and should NOT be living there...driving a wreck ready to break down or using their own personal vehicle....No business insurance, No public liable insurance and the list goes on......we have 2 vans speced up to the eyeballs with all tools to do almost all jobs.....our business and PL insurance is £2500 a year and £20 a door does not even pay our insurance never mind fuel, van insurance, wages, tax, maybe VAT in some cases......so customers when you want cheap.....you are going to get cheap........i have just got home from a job to correct someone else's mistake at 11 pm because £20 door fitters.....hope this all makes sense with people who want a high end job with a company who has all the credentials......PS if your lucky to get £30 a door......im glad i don't live there.........and PS PS this is for the elite tradesman who has spent £25,000 on their van and up to £15,000 on tools, so customer please choose what kind of job you require......

RB Joinery likes this.
  19. Synergy Team

Synergy Team New Member

Im sorry too, but to pay for our business insurances for 1 year at £20 a door would equate too 125 doors to be fitted LABOUR ONLY just to pay for business insurance......thats 7 doors a week just to pay for your insurances!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hope this make sense for the £20-30 door fitters and their customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Really think you need to stop posted your panic prices as we need to protect proper tradesman busissness.......

RB Joinery likes this.
  20. RB Joinery

RB Joinery New Member

£20/£30 per door is illegal. Below minimum wage never mind company cost.
    Ie based on the last 4 years £18,000 Net coming in. Ie every £18,000 coming into the company produces a wage for me of £6,400. That's it.
    Note if you go to page 1 of this conversation forum goes back to year 2010. States a block charged £35 per door then realized he made a mistake that £35 per door was a price charge 10 years earlier.
    Now that's £20 years ago.! !!!!!
    Actual reasonable price can as reported and verified online by organising regulation bodies go up to £90 as reasonable and that hasn't been updated for 10 years.
    So £75 per door which includes businesss cost. Quoting.Shoping ordering collecting delivery of materials by the way on average takes a week now if lucky to do .All for FREE.
    Then includes old doors taken away if contain no glass. Plus sealing the edges of the doors and behind hinges catches to meet manufactures guarantee. 99.9% aren't doing I am plus including materials to do and time.
    Plus also buying timber manufacturing timber to correct dimensions to be inserted glued internally to the bottom of hollow core doors to allow for extra trimmable amounts due to flooring carpets etc. Made up in my £200,000 businesss workshop premisses and machining facility.
    All this for below a standard joinery price.
    F/ ME I am to cheap.
    Ps by law I charge by contactless remote card machine to do a quote survey of £45 was £75 based on company cost to come out. So now at £45 so contactless I am still paying for loosing money to come out on your behalf.
    Covid law. Not a member of your buble. I me or any one else is NOT aloud to enter your property including construction trade unless they are a legal registered tax paying company qualified to carry out the work. And And must by law be there to work. Work is described by law HMRC must include payment. Clearly states survey.
    This by law also stops time wasters and spread of virus as they will be charged discounted to £45 contactless payment card machine. Do those who are not serious don't have a quote survey.
    Law not aloud to leave home unless for payed work. Or essential shopping.
    5 star rated company.
    Advanced qualified.
    Legal.