Door hinge screws stripped

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by lemonade, Dec 9, 2016.

1. lemonade

lemonade Member

The hinge on my kitchen door have come loose so I tried to use a piece of pine dowel but the screw wouldn't tighten up so should I have used furniture dowels or hardwood dowel.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Should have worked, did you glue it in? Take screw out, glue and wedge in matchsticks so the hole is filled tight, screw back in. If that doesn't work and the door frame is split you may have to either splice a bigger piece of timber into the frame to put the strength back in, or move the hinge positions on the door and frame.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Dowels aren't the best for taking screws. Do the screws just spin or won't go in fully ?

If the screw just spins, as Jord says above just glue some slivers into the hole. let the glue dry and try again. It doesn't have to be matches - you can trim some slivers off a piece of wood with a sharp and strong knife

4. lemonade

lemonade Member

The screws just spins. Will cocktail sticks work as I didn't think you could still buy matches.

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

STIXALL........................................................................:p:cool::confused:

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Cocktail sticks similar to dowels not the best wood. I would just get some old timber and slice off some slivers with a trimming (stanley) knife.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

A rawlplug of the correct size will do the job.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Weirdly enough it would probably work, providing you could get enough bite on the screws to hold the hinge long enough for it to set.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Is this a door on a kitchen unit or the actual kitchen door ?

If kitchen door - hollow type door ?

If hollow, there's not a lot of timber for hinge screws to fix into, 10/15 mm or so

Take door off, as above, plenty of glue and some soft wood splints hammered in, wipe off excess glue, allow to dry overnight

Don't over wedge as can actualy split edge of door as timber is so thin

Other option is to move hinge position and make good

Above is assuming it's a hollow kitchen door :confused:

10. Mr. Handyandy

I think we're all assuming it's the frame.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Without ripping handandy to bits, please don't put a plug into the screwhole as if the frame/lining is split already and you're struggling for a fixing a plug will only enlarge the hole and eventually make your situation worse.

12. Mr. Handyandy

I know what you're saying, but with the right size plug - no problem.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. lemonade

lemonade Member

Yes it's the frame.

14. lemonade

lemonade Member

Could you recommend what wood to use as I need to go and buy a piece.

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Just any old bit of softwood you can cut a few slivers from

You must have a piece of wood kicking around somewhere, a small piece surely, in the shed, garage ?

Your looking at a few slivers around 25/30mm long, you must have something around the house you can canabalise. Real tree wood though, i.e. Not chipboard / mdf

Surely you don't have to go out and buy a piece of timber do you just for that tiny amount ? Have you got a loft ? If yes, go cut a sliver from a joist, I'm sure the house won't fall down removing the amount you need :eek:

Falling that yes matchsticks do work, not so sure on cocktail sticks though

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Cocktail sticks work :) cut them in half by length and hammer them in with plenty of PVA..

17. lemonade

lemonade Member

All the wood I had I took it to the tip as I didn't think I would need it.
    If I use matchsticks or cocktail sticks do I need to drill a pilot hole before I insert the screw.

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

no

lemonade likes this.
  19. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

you get to a point with the remaining material where it does not have the mechanical ability to hold the repair and the hinge. Its then you need to do a splice.

20. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Wait for it, pls sir what's a splice?.