Door Jamb Repair

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mr KS, May 23, 2016.

1. Mr KS

Mr KS New Member

Hi all,

I'm going to be replacing all the internal doors in house and will be my first attempt but doesn't faze may after watching others and being in a trade myself.

However the door frame in the house have all had doors rehung twice in past 2 sets of hinge holes in each jamb, I'm currently stripping the woodwork down to repaint but want to know whether to fill these holes and sand down all replace just a certain part of the jamb. Eg cut out and replace, however will this affect the jamb structurally?

Garviel Loken likes this.
  2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've always tired to keep hinge positions the same when fitting new doors. Unless the hinge screw holes have split.

I prefer to glue a shim of wood in the unused hinge recess, once dry it can be planed flush with a block plane and sanded down, and is hardly noticeable once dried.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    Garviel Loken and KIAB like this.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Around 150mm down from the top and 200mm up from the bottom is the usual spacing.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I also whittle wood to make plugs & a blob glue in holes to tap into the screw holes, then par with a chisel, then glue a wood shim over it, same way as Jit.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And a solid heavy feature door I would use 3 hinges.:)

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Or on a cheap crappy B&Poo number to stop it twisting.

KIAB likes this.
  7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Maybe go for solid core ones especially if you have regular arguments ;)

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you are doing a load of doors I would advise making a jig up and using a 1/4" router for the hinges, you can get a Makita copy off Fleabay for just over £30.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I make my own, costs nothing. I do have a lot of spare ply though. :p:p

11. Mr KS

Mr KS New Member

Lived in house 3 years first time I'm hanging the doors. Each frame has got the standard heights and new which are 100mm above and below previous. I'll be moving them back to original just want to make good old hinge marks. I may do as mentioned and glue and plain

12. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

You can make repairs to a door lining. Remove the architrave and you can get to the side of the lining and work away quite nicely. Sometimes its too your advantage and you can do a simple fix; others you have to do a full on splice.

But in a lot of cases you can overlay old 3 inch hinges with 4 inch and its fine.

13. Mr KS

Mr KS New Member

This is an example of what I meant
    With regarding beforw new doors go on and repairing frame.

Attached Files:

Garviel Loken likes this.
  14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That shouldn't be too bad to repair, the old hinge position looks too low.

A book remember reading said about position hinges for top 175mm and bottom one 225mm.

seen it all before likes this.
  15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think I would purchase new door stops, instead of stripping the paint from them, at least they can be reset after the door is hung.

You could strip the paint and hang one day every 2 days.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The hinges you have now need ditching as you know but don't appear to have been chopped in.
    If this was my house I would hammer cocktail sticks, matches etc liberally doused in PVA into the old screw holes in the frame and leave to go off and then trim.
    Mark up your new doors to match the old hinge spacing then fit and the either move or fit new stops as needed.

KIAB likes this.
  17. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I fitted new doors in our house a few years ago...Only cheap B&Poo ones. The original doors seemed to have the hinges 6" up & 6" down,as they were probably made off site. :( I'm no chippy,so although I fitted new hinges, I kept the original positions in the jambs. I bored out the screw holes with a counter sink/boring bit & made plugs with a plug cutter. Glued these in position & fitted the doors. No probs. ;)

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Cocktail sticks, I need a box for every screw hole on one hinge on dinning room door, ended up whittling some offcuts of doorstop to plug screw holes.

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've seen wall plugs knocked into old screw holes before now :eek::eek:
    I think the 6" down, 8" up is to miss the tenon in a panel door but anywhere thereabouts is fine :)

20. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Those are flush hinges and would normally be used for lighter weight applications. eg cabinets

But the door lining looks okay. overpainted but with a good clean up could present a decent enough bit of wood to work with.

I would use 4 inchers overlaid in the 3 inch rebate.