Door Lining for Fire Doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jitender, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looking to get new linings to fit fire door, haven't measured the width of the lining but assume they will all have to be ripped to fit each room.

Looked at B&Q, and I think they do 115mm? wide x 32mm thick softwood linings for fire doors, with the intusmesent strip pre-routed.

Looking to use engineered wood, so was wondering if anyone knows where to source similar dimensions. B&Q have some engineered wood, but it isn't the thickness I am after.

2. Working On It

Working On It Member

Never really understood the fire door frame requirements, I've had a few fire officers say that as long as the door fits well and it's a half
    decent frame, be it soft or hardwood there not too fussed. Prefer the strips to be in the frame rather than the door...

WOI

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Going to measure up tomorrow, I don't think they will be standard sizes as house is over 115 years old.

New sizes are 27, 30, 33 x 78".

would rather buy some better lining material, the stuff I have used the past tends to cup hence wanting some engineered materiel. Will have a look in timber merchant tomorrow as they may do other hardwoods.

Prefer the strip in the frame too as, I think it ruins the look otherwise.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Went to timber merchant today, and was told that linings need to be minimum of 26mm thick, though on the internet some sites say 30mm is standard.

The pre-made linings aren't wide enough for job, biggest being 133mm (5 1/4"), these are 32mm thick with 25mm stops.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Found a good merchant who will be machining the timber, they had lots of different hardwoods available, as it will be painted they said go for tulip or popular which is much cheaper then sapele or meranti etc.

All the hardwood is sawn so needs planing and thicknessing etc.

They will be putting in a grove for the fire instrumescent strip, and there are two options; fire or fire and smoke.

Fire is just plastic stick without the brush seal.

Does anyone know where each would be required?

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just a question; if a house has fire doors and someone is in a room with a fire door, can they get out?

It says the seal will expand to fill the gaps, wouldn't this make it difficult to get out the room in the event of a fire?

8. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

The Intumescent strip is designed to expand at between 140°C and 200°C so I can assure you you wouldn't want to open the door even if you could. A more important aspect of a standard fire door installation these days is the smoke seal. Smoke will kill you way before the fire unless you are sat on it.

It's normal practice to fit a smoke and fire seal rather than just a plain Intumescent strip these days.

Jitender likes this.
  9. GoodwithWood

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The other thing i have seen is the pads which fit behind the hinges.

Seen some doors where they haven't been fitted, and others where a strip is place on other side of hinge.

when the seal is fitted in the lining there will be a gap where the lock plate goes

11. GoodwithWood

Jitender likes this.
  12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The other thing i have been looking at is door closer.

want to get concealed door closer, fire doors weigh 50kg.

Went into ironmongers today and he didn't recommend perkos as its not controlled closing. showed me a hydraulic concealed closer which closes in a controlled manner which is something I am after. The one i was shown was from glibmaster? but seems the hole length was really big, perkomatic is 170mm deep.

I know perko do other products in the powermatic range.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Notice the Dow insta stick which I have is fire rated also.

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select