Door size advice please?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by keane14, Mar 18, 2017.

1. keane14

keane14 Member

Hi,

I have to source a kitchen door, I have added images of the style I like and the sizes available, my opening is 723 mm x 2033 mm (28" x 80"), is it realistic to add a bit of width and height? The finish will be painted so I could hide a multitude of sins.

Or is it easier to buy one as close as I can to the size and trim to fit? Guess I can only trim so much off.

I probably will pay someone to hang this for me, to ensure I get a good finish. But wanted to source the door myself.

Thanks very much.

Attached Files:

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Howdens do doors to fit that size.
    Check out the internal door range...as standard some are 2040x726

In fact, just search for 2040x726 doors...loads and loads! :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    keane14 likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Search for 2040x726 doors

keane14 likes this.
  4. keane14

keane14 Member

Thanks CGN, I will take a look.

CGN likes this.
  5. GrahamTaylor

GrahamTaylor Active Member

When searching for the door the magic words you are looking for are 'Metric door'. The metric system was going to be the new standard in the 70's but never caught on here in the UK. It is the standard pretty well everywhere else in europe

The widths are 526, 626, 726, 826 mm and height is 2040 mm.

Thickness is 40mm rather than the 35mm generally found on 'imperial' size doors.

Most retail sheds (Homebase, B&Q etc) have never heard of them but any trade supplier (Howdens, Benchmarx etc) will have most doors available in Metric or Imperial though the metric is usually a bit more expensive (because less of them get sold).

keane14 likes this.
  6. keane14

keane14 Member

Thanks Graham Taylor, think I have now found a pretty nice one at jewsons, about £160, 3 to 5 weeks delivery, not just need to find a chippy to hang it.

Cheers!

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Whereabouts are you? Know a few good chippies.

8. keane14

keane14 Member

I am in Cornwall, but have not used a Chippie as yet, got a few numbers but have not seen the quality of their work yet!