Dot and dab disaster, uneven wall, need some advice please

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Monkey Chops, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

I am doing some dot and dab, the first wall went up OK, but the second wall sticks out further at the top and bottom, but moreso at the top two corners. It's not by a lot, a CM or so, but the centre of the wall dips in too, also about a CM. It is mostly cinder block.

I got the board up on the second wall, and could not get the top to sit right. I even pulled the board off the wall, re-applied fresh adhesive and tried again, but I suspect that the adhesive wasn't deep enough to compensate for the uneven wall.

Is it OK to add thicker blobs of adhesive to give more room for adjustment? Also, if I wanted to add some screws to give the boards some extra anchorage for tiling, what kind would I need?

Thanks!

2. From recently taking down a D&D wall, it's clear that the adhesive will easily cope with 20+mm gaps.

So, yes, you just need thicker dabs in the hollows and less where it comes out. I presume you are using a good straight edge like a 4x2 to get the boards pressed in flat and horizontal? Just get the board in position, place the timber against it, and set a level on that. Then use a rubber mallet or similar to tap tap tap tap the board against the wall until you know the stickier-out parts (top two corners) have virtually made contact with little adhesive thickness left there, and use that as your 'guide' for the rest.

But obviously the dabs have to start off significantly thicker than the void it'll end up filling.

I think I'd also add significantly more dabs in the hollow parts. Possibly you could make the adhesive a slightly thicker mix too?

When that adhesive sets, it's rock hard.

(PS - I've never D&B'd myself, so do check out vids on YouTube first to be certain... :oops: )

Monkey Chops likes this.
  3. A thought. I presume if you've removed the board after the first attempt, there will be some adhesive left behind on the walls?

I guess you scraped off the bits on the 'stick-out' parts of the wall, but perhaps a 'DIY' solution (ie the sort of thing I would do) would be to apply a cm or two of dabs on the hollow parts first and allow them to set - before then D&B'ing the board on.

That should effectively bring the contact points out to the same level all over?

Monkey Chops likes this.
  4. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks mate, I was using a Fatmax box beam level to tap into place, it's quite a wide one and is 6ft long. The problem I was having was that I'd run out of room to tp the board in at the top and bottom, and the centre was too far in. Schoolboy error and it made a mess taking the board off, but we live and learn! I had watched all the vids on youtube, but none of them mention uneven walls.

I did put lots of adhesive on the wall, I think the problem was that it wasn't deep enough. I just wasn't sure if going deeper was OK as it is going to be tiled.

Cheers!

5. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

That's a good idea, hadn't thought of that, cheers mate!

6. You can apply the new dabs and shove up the board as soon as the 'spacer' dabs have 'set' solid. They don't have to be allowed to dry out.

Good luck - and let us know how it's going :D

(Unless it's pear-shaped...:oops:)

Monkey Chops likes this.
  7. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Run into a problem with the wall where the window is, also the bath will be to the left of that wall, the sink in the middle and toilet on the right, the window is above the toilet and basin, I'll upload a photo this aft. The problem is that the window frame is further in on the right than it is on the left by about 20-25mm. It's not quite plumb either. So, to get this window return looking even something like square and straight, it would mean the boards have to come out further on the right hand side to compensate, but that would mean the wall that it meets on the right would then not be square.

I'm trying to get the walls as square and plumb as possible for tiling. Is there a way round this, or do I have to live with an uneven window return/sill?

8. mishter bond

mishter bond New Member

sounds like the wall all over the shop lol. I would suggest the best way would be to batten the wall using packers in order to create a level and square frame.

you can of course do the same with thicker and liberally applied dot and dab, but you shouldn't go too deep with your dab.

if the window is on the wonk then I would suggest getting that straight first and working out from your now plumb and square plasterboarded window.

don't get to hung up on it however, remember if it looks right then it is right.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

+1. Having done many, many projects over the years you come to realise stuff can be way out of line and still look fine. As I look at my tall oven unit end panel now, only I know its 25mm off the wall at the top, hidden by a cover strip - the wall isn't plumb, but noone ever notices. If tiling you want to avoid lippage, but if you bend the wall down the joint lines unlikely anyone will notice, unless they're mirror tiles or something that causes odd reflections. :)

mishter bond and Monkey Chops like this.
  10. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

I've managed to finish it all and it's all square and plumb, barring one wall, which I really struggled with, it's now square, but not quite plumb. I think I might add another board as it is the end of the bath where there is a gap that needs boxing in, but I wanted to check a couple of things first.

If I add a second board to level it out and also close the gap at the end of the bath, is this wall still going to be strong enough for floor to ceiling tiles, or does a second board limit this?

If I wanted to add some fixings/screws to strengthen up the wall, what kind should I use?

Thanks!

11. mishter bond

mishter bond New Member

are you going the screw the new second board to the wall?

the more weight added the bigger the strain on the initial dot and dab. I would advise against it but it would probably be fine.

as for fixings I would use proper plasterboard fixings such as the ones with the self tapping screw rawlplugs. Or the ones with flatten out behind once tightened it order to give better support.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  12. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks mate. I was thinking of screwing right through both boards and into the brick to secure it more once the adhesive has dried, is that not a good idea then? The only thing I'm worried about is that it's my first time tiling and I wasn't sure it'd look right if the wall isn't plumb?

Cheers!

13. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Don't, Don't try large format tiles as first time attempt. They are way harder to install looking good than smaller tiles. You not only have to make sure the wall is flat, but that your adhesive coverage is even, or you'll fight them across the room and back again. The best tiles for a first attempt IMO are tiles which have a slightly softened/rounded edge rather than ones that are knife-edge sharp. You can pinch a smidgen on every joint if necessary and not see it. Start from a horizontal batten fixed to the wall and plan, plan and plan some more where the cut edges are. Usually best to cut to every edge unless you have a perfect wall. If you are going round the room check the level all the way round - the inexpensive laser levels are a god send - I have this one - http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-quigo2-self-levelling-cross-line-laser-level/7122g. mount it on a cheap photogs tripod so you can position it wherever. Nothing looks worse than thin slivers of tiles that are diferent widths, so try and always cut at least half a tile width. If you haven't bought your tiles yet, I work on 10% wastage on small tiles and 15% on large, measured on area, and it usually works out, but you might want to add a bit more for cock-ups on a first attempt.

Monkey Chops and mishter bond like this.
  14. mishter bond

mishter bond New Member

you can do that just be aware that if you over tighten the fixings that it will pull in the boards and damage them.

the same applies to fixing shelves etc.

sometimes using plasterboard fixings is a better option if you are sure the base board is solid and has plenty of dot and dab behind it.

I learnt the hard way, trying to fix a kitchen cabinet up I wanted a solid fixing into the Brock wall and used dot and dab instead of a timber sub frame. I had to use standoffs and essentially push them through the board to the right length to stop the plasterboard from collapsing in. Time consuming and messy bodge lol.

I would suggest a good number of plasterboard fixings equally spaced across the entire board would suffice. Just be aware that if the boards get damp in the future you may find the fixings begin to sag. So perhaps adding thin beads of adhesive such as gripfill between the boards with give you some extra support and backup should the fixings fail in the future.

just remember there is a fine line between over tighten and loose when it comes to screw fixing plaster board. Keep all fixings as straight as possible and if needed hand tighten just so it pinches the board.

spread the weight of the board and soon to be added tiles across the largest surface area by applying multiple fixings top to bottom.

waterproof the board to protect from damp and water ingress.

use lighter tiles if at all possible.

hope you find the suggestions usefull.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  15. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

......and get a wet diamond wheel cutter which may be a bit slower but IMO is more foolproof than the score and snip cutters - I have the cheapest little plasplugs which is years old now and have prob done 20-25 tiling projects in various houses and for various people with it now. Cut everything from flooring slates, granite, to 10mm 600x600 (with a home cobbled table extension).

Monkey Chops likes this.
  16. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I have a tanking kit that I'm going to use on Thursday for the bath and shower area. I have a laser level that the Mrs bought me for xmas, she was the one that wanted larger tiles! The walls are flat and they are all square, just one is not quite plumb. You reckon tiling up a not-quite-plumb wall is doable on a first attempt?

17. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Its not so much the plumb as any twist. You can lose the out of plumb - noone will see- provided it is flat. Same with a belly or bow in one plane only - you can absorb it along the grout line, but any twist with large format tiles and you are going to fight it. I know - I've just done my bathroom with 600x600! Use a top quality cement based adhesive for large format, but be careful where you buy it from. The yellow shed wanted £55 bag for bal fibre plus, when I can get the dunlop equivalent for £14 from the builders merchant. Large format is doable but tricky. Get that first tile or two on and use a straight edge across the face to see where you are going to end up. ANY twist will show up as horrid lipping. Also, make sure you butter both the tile and the wall with adhesive. These things are heavy, and you need to make absolutely sure you have a good bond. I'm only DIY. suggest go to the tilers forum and get some more advice.

Best advice though, unless you have already bought them, is to use a smaller tiles for a first attempt - much easier! I've done many tiling projects and this latest one with 600's was the toughest yet to get right.

Monkey Chops likes this.
  18. Monkey Chops

Monkey Chops Member

Thanks mate, not bought the tiles yet, but I know she's seen some that she likes, they are ceramic and 250x500. I'll check the flatness of the walls again and start another thread in the tiling forum. Cheers for your help!