Double Data Rate 4 Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory...

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by unphased, Jul 6, 2014.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

...will be here towards the latter part of 2014. The fourth iteration of SDRAM, DDR4. DDR3 has a ceiling of 2133MHz. DDR4 starts at 2133 MHz. The largest memory stick with DDR3 is 8Gb. DDR4 will be 16Gb. DDR4 is not compatible with any of the current PC motherboards, so when it is released new mobos will be needed. Technology moves on. :)

2. H3xc0d3

H3xc0d3 Member

I remember when 64MB was a huge amount and it was about £2 a MB :/

3. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

so Word will open in 2 rather than 3 seconds, you'll be able to waste even more of your life playing games that look more like real life, you'll be able to render your own full length home brewed photo-realistic movie in 10 rather than 15 minutes ........ all for the price of an entire new PC, the economy of desire, that's a great business to tap into

where will this end, applications that open before you know you want to use them ?

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Once the new mobo's to cope with DDR4 are released, they'll already be out of date as far as hardware developers are concerned. They're probably already working on the next generation of computer hardware. My first computer was a Sinclair ZX81, next was a Commodore 64, then an Atari ST. Since then various generic computers starting with the good old 8086 processor. I've used Win 3.1 Win 95, 98 XP and 7. (won't use win 8) Currently been using Ubuntu since version 10.04 (now on 14.04) Next computer I buy will probably be one I'll build myself, with an i7 processor, an SSD hard drive, a good graphics card and (hopefully) liquid cooling. ;);)

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Why do you say you wouldn't use Windows 8 John? i've been using it for about 18 months without any problems although I have heard people saying they can't get on with it.

6. joinerjohn1

Sen, I've watched video's on youtube when it was still in development and read reports about Win8 after it's release. One youtube video showed some youngish chap asking his father to have a go with it. (his dad was quite au fait with Win7) Within minutes the old chap was completely lost. His son asked him to shut the computer down, and after a few minutes of searching for the "start" button, his father reached for the power button on the computer and forced a shutdown. Looking at it, I do think Microsoft perhaps should have brought out two versions,, One for non touch screen computers and one completely dedicated to touch screen computers, instead of combining the two into one OS, or perhaps offered free upgrades/downloads for those who change to a touch screen monitor. MS do seem to have a history of producing a good OS, then a bad one. Perhaps when Win9 comes out I might be tempted. ;);)

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

8. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

The start button is back in 8.1 but, with limited functions(does include shut down). Before that you could always use ALT + F4 to shutdown.

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I agree it is very different to anything we've been used to John, does take a bit of time to find ones way around it! I've recently done the free download to 8.1, not noticed much difference tbh.
    Like you i've used all the previous versions of Win, used to build my own machines for myself and customers when I was in the tv servicing trade but haven't bothered since doing full-time electrical work for about the past 8 years.
    I am interested in the Linux system that you were discussing a few days ago, I think I need a usb stick of about 10 gig, is that correct?
    How do you connect to the internet etc. with Linux, does it use a browser similar to Win systems?

10. Cheburashka

I used to often buy the best available components when building my PC's (I'm talking 15+ years ago) These days, I never buy cutting edge. I just buy components that will easily cope with what I want to do for the next 5 years.

But, I've not built a complete PC from nothing for some time. The last time I just changed the MOBO,CPU and Memory. I tend to do rolling upgrades now.

Always amazes me when people go out splashing the cash on i7 CPU's, Top of the range Motherboards for gaming, High end memory and they try and run it on some cheap and nasty £10 PSU.

11. Cheburashka

Live versions of linux are tiny Sen. You can run from a CD or DVD. Go to the Ubuntu website, download an ISO and burn it to a DVD. then you can try it.

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Thanks Cheb, i'll give it a go when I get time.

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Some of them you can run off of flash Mr C - I did this myself but didn't like the Linux tbqh. Mind that was a few years ago so it might be better now - I didn't like the lime green colour and stuff. You can either run your normal OS or boot into Linux etc on the flash - its good because it doesn't load up your HD with the Linux OS.

14. joinerjohn1

Sen, some linux variants will fit on a 1gb usb stick. I used unetbootin ( http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ ) to download a linux OS to a usb stick. Creates a bootable ISO. Set your computer boot up (in bios) to boot from usb first. Stick the usb in a port and turn it on. It should then give you the option to try, or install. Try it... Ubuntu comes complete with Mozilla Firefox web browser, Mozilla Thunderbird email client, Libre Office suite (does everything MS Office does)

You can make your computer dual bootable too, so at startup you get the choice of which OS to use (win or Linux)

If your computer HDD ever stops working, a bootable usb stick will get you going again. With a large usb stick, you can even make it persistent (so any downloads/updates to the OS or work you do is stored on the usb.

PS Linux is absolutely free, safe from viruses and malware (there's none in the wild at the moment)
    PPS The missus's computer (bought 4 weeks ago for her b/day) is running Win7 Ultimate and I must admit, I like it (but there again I did like WIn XP Pro on my last computer) ;);)

15. joinerjohn1

Some years ago a mate built his own "top of the range" spec system. Cost him almost 2 grand for the parts. 6 months later, he could have bought the same parts for about half the price he paid at the time. Just shows 6 months is a long time in computing terms.

16. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I will say that adware/malware is a problem I have at the moment, the most agravating one is adds by Suprasavings, it's very well known on Google and there are lots of programs offered to "clean" it out of the system but I suspect most of those are just as bad! Suprasavings puts all sorts of adverts up on the screen and also underlines certain words on forum messages and makes them into links which open an advt. if the mouse cursor goes over it. I've looked in the list of programs to see if it's in there but no luck, I suppose it's imbeded in one of the regular programs. I thought it might be in int. explorer so I downloaded Chrome and am using that now, which does seem to have less intrusions.

17. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Download and run Malwarebytes anti-malware, Sen. There is a free version but I was impressed so I purchased the premium. Give it a go and see if it shifts any nasties. :)

18. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Thanks for that UP, i'll give it a go mate.

19. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

:). Gosh that's a little cynical, Sean. Speed has always been a key ingredient for computers. It is a hobby of mine to tinker around with PCs. I like to upgrade and build so its not an issue with me. Its all part of the enjoyment to keep a standard of computer. I don't tend to go with out and out top range because that is expensive. I like AMD anyway so I have my eye on the AMD A10 7850K Kaveri chip for a future build for my sons gaming rig. AMD are now focusing on APUs where a high percentage of the chip is devoted a graphics chip. The 7850 has the Radeon R7 in it.

20. Cheburashka

I remember in the late 90's I bought a stick of RAM for £150 and the following week the same thing was £20 from the same retailer. Prices of memory chips back then was very unstable.