double glazing installation. Are these fitters doing it right?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by mark27888, Oct 16, 2014.

1. mark27888

mark27888 New Member

Hello everyone.
    We are having windows fitted by installer. Unfortunately, it seems a few problems have arisen.
    Are these problems worthy of suspending payment.

The first is a large gap between the brick and window frame on one window. From the top side to the bottom side there is minimum gap of nearly 8mm to over 15 mm at it's widest, and the screws are plainly evident.
    Also, the external window cill is cut longer than the frame, probably meaning the window should have been wider... Is this gap size normal or acceptable?

The second is the amount of plaster removed from the side of the walls when removing the frame. Whilst that can happen, the fitter had no plaster with him so filled up the large gaps with a sealant, the same he put around the window edges when you finish. Then, having filled the gap with the sealant, the strip is placed over it. The rest of the gap, which is showing, will be filled with plaster. This was also done to another window in the house.

Is this excusable, or is it fair to ask the fitter (or should he) take out this strip and put plaster underneath it.

Also, none of the internal cills have been removed because they said the metal cills are attached to the house and would be too diffult /cause too much damage to remove. The frames are metal and have been in place for 40/years, so I guess this is understandable.

All thoughts welcome. Is this a a problem worthy of complaining to someone else about and
    suspending final payment.

hello, please see pictures below in other post:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Could you post some pictures.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What windows have been fitted? are they UPVC or aluminum.

1) Not sure what you mean, but when windows are made to order they usually have a 4-5mm gap all the way around the frame on the external side. Sometimes the brick openings aren't always level.

2) In some houses the plaster lines can be out i.e. not plumb and level (my windows were the same). When fitters install they usually match to the existing plaster lines, but I have found this isn't always good practice as the frames can twist and plus it won't look right from the outside.

Not happy with the sealant and plastic strip, the fitters could have easily popped out to get plaster. Have seen these in many council houses where fitters speedfit the windows.

My personal view regarding the strip is that it is used to cut corners, as they don't want to plaster.

3) Did the quotation include the removal of the existing cills and replacement of new ones?

I would make a complaint to your contact you were provided with and say you are not happy with the plastic strips as well as the above.

I haven't used Anglian, but had some problems with a local co. I used. They made a magnitude of errors, to cut a long story short the company director came out and we were able to liaise with him. They sent out a a new pair of fitters who had to take out all the frames and refix them again as the first set of fitters didn't want to come back. The second set of fitters did a good job as I had only paid 35% deposit at the time.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  4. mark27888

mark27888 New Member

hi, managed to upload some pictures. Appreciate thoughts on this.

Attached Files:

5. mark27888

mark27888 New Member

Also, the windows are uPVC. If there has to be a gap, that's fine, just not sure if the gap is too big. Yes, the bricks aren't completely straight, but I have shown the gap at it's smallest 8mm.
    (also the windows are dirty as they have just installed and coming back to complete other windows tomorrow).

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

We had metal frames windows in our last house, the frames were put in when the opening was made, they are possible to remove using an angle grinder.

Also on some houses the top course of bricks above a window opening aren't usually supported as they relied on the strength of the metal frames and windows, in some council estates where replacement windows have been fitted the brickwork has sagged down as they require a lintel to be installed.

If that gap is at its smallest.... then the surveyor hasn't done his job right, that's not acceptable. The original metal frames would have been square.

The minor gap damages should be made good using polyfilla and large ones using plaster.

Could you upload a pic of the whole window.

Do the exterior cills have end caps? Also I don't see any trickle vents fitted?

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Also where screws are fixed into the frame, a packer should be used, as without using one the frame will bend/flex at the fixing points.

Sometimes the fitters will usually fit the frames on one side of a house and then seal the next day. This avoids getting brick dust into the sealant. They should clean all the frames and glass.

Use a level to check that the frames are plumb and square. Also use a long level or straight piece of material to check the bricks squareness and that the windows could have been made a tad larger.

The surveyor should have measured the opening at 3 points and took the closest measurement.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Could you upload a pic of your metal cills?

Make contact with the co as soon as possible and explain to him/her that I'm not happy with the work. Would be best if they came out, say it is to hard to explain and would prefer if you would come out as a matter of urgency.

9. Biffo

Biffo Member

no need for t/v s on refurb

10. mark27888

mark27888 New Member

yes, the frames are metal.

11. mark27888

mark27888 New Member

hi, what is 'no need for t/v s on refurb?'

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The windows were made too small. The fitter should have centred them better. The internal sill could have been covered. You will now get trims to cover the large gaps outside. The filler in the plaster is covered and no harm.
    Bit of a bodge though(the gaps, the filler, the unpainted sill).

Personally, I wouldn't accept it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. mark27888

mark27888 New Member

there are still a few more windows to be done, but tomorrow is the last day for them i think.
    So far two bricks have been damaged. I have enclosed a picture of one.
    The other chip is in a more visible position on the side of the window.
    What would best the best way to fix this.

As you can see, caps still to be put on window cill.

Attached Files:

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That's short for trickle vents.

15. IMO this doesn't look like the best quality of finish, the use of trims is frequent and can sometimes be the best solution to some problems, equally done well with nice corners can look ok.

I would have opted for patching the plaster before fitting the trims and the gaps externally as shown do seem excessive, I wonder if this was done in attempt to over come very thick plaster on the internal reveal (yes I know, frame extenders would be the norm).

My biggest worry here would be that the fitters are most likely sub-contract, don't live anywhere near the job and today is FRIDAY !!
    That by the way is not a knock at sub-contractors, I my self have done many a job on this basis and the problem is more about been able to do what you can with material you have been provided with and time given to complete works before you need to move onto next site.

16. Hard to know for sure - I mean, if the gap varies as it goes vertically up the wall, then clearly your wall window opening is not very straight and that's not their fault (tho' I'd have liked the min gap to be more min...).

(Of course, it could be a squint window as well... :rolleyes:)

It won't - shouldn't - be an actual 'problem' once it's filled with sealant - these products today are very impressive. But, it ain't ideal, and it might not ever look perfect. But, then again, would you really notice it unless you were looking for it?

I have to say I suspect their excuse for not balancing the gaps is pants, tho' - it would make the window off-level?! What does that mean - that there's a wee bit of concrete in that bottom corner that the window frame would have sat on and made it lift? If so, why the hell didn't they chip that away - what bludy effort would that have been?!!

I obviously don't know the true reasons, but can only suspect they aren't the sort of guys to put in that teeny bit of effort to make it the 'best' job they could.

'Anglian'? So I'm guessing you got a few quotes and they weren't the cheapest? In which case you chose them specifically for their (cough) reputation and the confidence you'd have in a job well done?

In which case I think you can insist that they improve some aspects of this job - balancing that gap for one.