Double glazing installer - how to know if filled with argon gas?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by mark27888, Oct 21, 2014.

1. mark27888

mark27888 New Member

issue sorted on argon gas.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

how did the fitters fit double gazed windows one pane at a time, it has to be a sealed unit surely.

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I'm with Phil on this. DG units are not installed, one pane at a time then filled afterwards. Have you considered an appointment at Specsavers? ;);)

4. A well known side-effect of breathing too much Argon gas is that it gives you single-vision.

Jitender likes this.
  5. Phil the Paver

If there were indeed single panes, how would the fitters get the gas inbetween them on site once fitted into the frame.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Well I am gobsmacked!

7. A wee hole through which the air space is purged and filled with Argon.

And then plugged.

Probably...

How can you tell if Argon was used? You can't. Unless they show you the 'evidence'.

(Or, I guess you could set up some very expensive scientific apparatus, and measure the thermal conductivity of the unit and compare it with blah...)

8. Biffo

Biffo Member

9. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Could it be a clear sealed double glazed unit with an extra pane of patterned glass on top.

10. Phil the Paver

The pic in the above post isn't a pic of a newly fitted window/frame, it may have had new frosted glass fitted in it looking at the difference in colour of the beading, but still don't get the "they fitted two panes of glass" logic.

11. Phil the Paver

12. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

There are two main components to windows , the frame and the glazing .
    Were you expecting them to come and put a window in with glazing already installed ?
    They put the window frame in without the double glazed unit ,securing it through the frame itself then the double glazed unit goes in . If the window opens then they could put the glazing in before fitting the frame as it can be opened to gain access to screw the frame in place.
    It sounds like you think a double glazed unit is the whole window inclusive of the frame and you were expecting it to be fitted in one piece?

13. R.W_Carpentry

Because the double glazed unit won't be anywhere near when fitting the frame ...The frame gets screwed in place without the glass in at all , then the double glazing gets put in and held in place with gasket and trim.

14. R.W_Carpentry

No the argon is within the double glazed unit between the two panes of glass , this as a unit is separate from the frame but the two panes of glass will be a sealed unit with a spacer bar between the two and the argon would be in that void.
    The glazing IS a sealed unit , forget about the frame that's irrelevant , a sealed double glazed unit is the glazing not the whole window as such.

15. R.W_Carpentry

They've fitted two single panes of glass from each side of the frame? That seems bizarre to me, and if so can see you having problems with condensation between the two very quickly. Can you post a photo of a window from inside and out?

16. Hi Mark. I'm not a window expert.

RW gave a good account of how PVC windows arrive on site - the PVC frames are separate, and all the 'sealed' double-glazing 'glass' units are fitted after the frames are in place. Sometimes the opening panels will come with these sealed glass units already in place as they can be opened to allow access to the fixing screws. (There are other ways to fix the frames, but that the usual way.)

Ok, a 'double glazing' unit works by having 2 separate panes of glass with an air gap in between. That sealed air gap - for it is 'air' - is an excellent insulator as the air is trapped and doesn't flow off taking heat with it. Apparently Argon works a wee bitty better than just air - I'm guessing it's a slightly better insulator, I dunno.

Ok, for the DG unit to work, it has to be air-tight, not only to prevent flow, but to stop damp air getting in where it will condense when cold and cause 'fogging' and droplets inside - in between the panes where you can't get to it!

The spacing (and sealing) bars around the perimeter of the unit has desiccants (blimey - never knew it had 2 'C's...) in it to absorb any existing moisture and to make the trapped air /Argon bone dry.

So that's why it needs to be fully sealed. (If the seal fails, you'll start to see fogging and droplets inside. Your unit will still actually work well, but you won't be able to see clearly out of it...)

So, a 'double-glazing unit' consists of 2 panes of glass separated by a fixed sealing bar all around its perimeter - it's all ONE piece.

What you have described with the 2 glass panes being fitted separately is a new one to me, and to everyone else on here for that matter. I'm not saying you are mistaken, but it must be a new process.

For it to work, the 2 panes will need to have been sealed perfectly against the spacing bar - ie: air tight. I guess they might have groovy rubber gaskets that can do that these days, I dunno?

If it's the case that they were assembled that (unusual) way, then it wouldn't be a huge leap for them to also have a wee holed drilled through into the centre section where they can be purged afterwards and Argon fed in.

But - it wounds like an necessary complication; factory-made sealed units are surely more reliable long term?

Anyways, I guess you have a nifty warranty with them. Keep it safe :)

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I very much doubt that the panes have been installed singly. The units are factory sealed, what there to stop dirt and debris getting into the panes when they are fitting?

A small label is usually attached to the window this has all the relevant information regard the gas used and the spacer colour etc.

It also show which way the unit should be installed, as the e coating is usually installed one way around to fully benefit.

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The co should provide a 10 year guarantee on misty sealed units, I know mine were. Hardware is usually 1 year.

19. R.W_Carpentry

I still can't understand how they could be two individual single panes, so you must have removable trim both inside and out? Normally on modern windows you would only have the trim on the inside.
    Anyway I had a look around anglians website to see if there was anything there explaining what would be a very new style of double glazed window and couldn't find anything that matches your description, their galleries show normal windows, ie:you can see there's no removable trim on the outside faces. Whilst on there a little chat window popped up for the chat online customer services so I thought I may aswell ask them and this is what they replied:

Is your double glazing on windows a sealed unit or single panes which once fitted to the frame create a double glazed unit

Anglian Home joined the chat
    Anglian Home
    it is a sealed unit

You - Click here to change
    thanks, and are the units premade or created on site?

Anglian Home
    they are made in our factory in norwich and then brought to your house all ready made

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Could you post a picture of the glass showing the joins, is it double or triple glazing you had installed. Is the a spacer bar between the panes?

Looking at your other trobles with Anglian it may be possible you have a a set of muppet fitters