Double glazing installer - how to know if filled with argon gas?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by mark27888, Oct 21, 2014.

1. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

More than likely, but muppet fitters,doesn't explain why anglian would supply them with single glazing panels rather than sealed units ( when I've just been told that units are made at their own factory ) and how the window frames allowed fitting of glass from both sides, obviously you could put two single panes and a spacer in from one side, but OP has said he's seen them fit panes from inside and out, which would mean the frames having removable beading both sides.

All in all, very odd and somethings up with anglian telling you that fitting in the way you describe is right and then the customer service adviser that answered my question on their website contradicting that

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is what exactly happened to new windows we had fitted in our old house. The next day condensation appeared on the inside - not good after spending so much on windows.

In my house the external glass was covered with a fog, I phoned the co and said this was normal and that the windows were doing their job, the mist only appears on some cold days but does disperse when the sun hits it. Not good when you can't see out of them.

Because these windows are so energy efficient they don't allow the building to breathe, hence why I mention trickle vents being used in another post! I understand that you had metal windows prior, are there any air bricks located in the rooms?

Its not possible that your windows are both internally and externally glazed, looks like they are externally glazed, which uses a beaded profile.

The droplets of water are not in the in between the glass.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  3. Looking at your last photos - that condensation is on the inside of your house - you can wipe your finger in that water, can't you? Even tho' you have DG, the windows will still almost certainly be the coldest part of your room - hence that's where you'll get condensation.

Jit Gang, that condensation on the outside pane is a good sign - it means your windows are so good that they are not allowing any heat out from your house that would otherwise keep the outside pane clear :).

Mark, that's a bludy mystery.

Biffo likes this.
  4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Condensation

Attached Files:

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Drying clothes inside is one of the main contributors to condensation.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

IF they fitted glass in the way you described, tell them you don't want it.

It ain't right in any way, shape or form.

Sealed units are ALWAYS manufactured in facory conditions. NEVER on site.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Bottom line is don't hand over any monies until all faults are rectified. Anglian were on Watchdog a few years ago.

8. Biffo

Biffo Member

its a double glazed unit fitted the black, is the warm edge spacer bar A rated end of !!!

as for seeing single glass , the fitter may have broken a unit , and dont want to inform the company ( charged for breakages) so they have possible made up a dodgy unit by splitting to broken unit and sticking another sheet of glass onto the bar . been there and got the t shirt ;)

9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Many years ago, I worked for a joinery company who had a contract with the local council to supply and fit new wooden windows and dg units in them. Many times we loaded up the vans in the morning with frames and dg units. By the time we got out to site, sometimes a few of the dg units got broke. Whenever this happened, we phoned up the yard to report the broken units and then sent someone out with the van to a local dg unit supplier, with the broken unit and had a new one made up. Same day service. ;);)

10. Biffo

Biffo Member

ask the fitters about it never right !!!! may be a temporary fix ?? what area are you ??

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Regardless of it being a sealed unit or not, specs of dirt between the glass is good enough reason to reject that particular window, the rubbish mastic on the others is another reason, so all in all it's not a very good job, not good enough to sign it off, if that means the sub contractor doesn't get paid, well so be it, shouldn't do ***** work and expect to get away with it.:rolleyes:

12. Mr. Handyandy

No. Get the manager(or inspector) out. Don't pay. DO NOT have the same muppets back to fix ANYTHING. They need to be sacked.
    These guys doing the fitting - they ain't window fitters.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

If they've put one pane in added a spacer and then the next pane as in fitting it together in the window then there's no way they would of put argon in.
    If they'd put the two panes together outside of the frame and then fitted as one unit then they could of but as you say this wasn't the case .
    even in factory conditions it's a common form of getting the gas in is to put the unit together and then add the gas through a hole in the spacer and then seal . It's not possible to do with the pane in the window however .
    There really isn't any excuse as far as I'm concerned that I'd be accepting off of them , what theye done is a terrible bodge and your windows will not be rated as you expected them to be , accept nothing less than having the glazing out and replaced with sealed units that have come from the factory , frankly if it were me I'd want the whole lot ripped out and everything re done by a different set of fitters.

Jitender likes this.
  14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

It seems he may have already paid, hence why he is now waiting to hear back from them.

15. Mr. Handyandy

You need to get this sorted. You need an inspector out from the company, and to have the unit/s removed for checking.
    It's wrong.
    If they refuse, get independent advice and let them handle it for you.
    Don't give up, you will have major problems later on.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I'd get on to trading standards first thing Monday morning. ;);)

17. Biffo

Biffo Member

what was the result ???