Downlight Earthing (or not)?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Moldy1, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Moldy1

Moldy1 New Member

In my refurbed kitchen I am fitting 230v LED IP20 downlights under the cupboards. The lamps are double insulated and the info leaflet says for this reason the downlights don't need an earth connection and in fact, earths should be kept well away.

The double insulated lamps are then clipped into a stainless steel triangular mounting.
    I think this mounting should probably be earthed. In the worst case a 230v live could detach touching the mounting causing it to become live.

Earth the mounting or not?

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Why would it detach? Seem to come across lots of lights with no earth. I know what you mean saying about having no earth but do as the institutions say and connect well. Try stay away from block connections. I hate them now.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Do whatever the manufacturers say Moldy. If the manufacturer states that they are double insulated and require no earth then follow that to the letter. Putting in earths when not indicated will contravene manufacturers wiring stipulations for the unit/s, which automatically breaches BS7671 Wiring Regulations.

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

However, the earth in the cable will need to be continued through from supply to the end light. The earth conductors joined together in an insulated connector at each light, and insulated at the end light.

5. Moldy1

Moldy1 New Member

Thanks all especially Bazza - I didn't know about the earth continuity. I won't earth the lights and may just use some 2 wire cable.
    I thought of using 'Click Flow' connectors - are they ok?

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Click flow connectors are good and made for the job. You'll be ok with a short length of 2-core cable from the click flow to the light itself

BUT

the main feed cable that goes from click Flow to Click Flow must include an earth (CPC) conductor that is earthed and is continued from the supply end right through to the last connector.
    So you'll need soemthing like 1mm Twin and Earth cable for that.

Its there both as a safety requirement for the cable and also should someone want to install lights that DO need an earth at some point in the future.

Also, if you were doing it properly, one of the tests of a circuit is the EFLI (Earth Fault Loop Impedance) test. That test cannot be done unless there is an earth present at the end of the circuit.

7. Moldy1

Moldy1 New Member

Thanks Bazza - When the kitchen is finished the installation will be tested by an electrician from the building owners so I want to make sure I get everything spot on. I have a length of1.5mm t&e so will use that to future proof the lights.