Downlighters and loft insulation

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JohnP1, Jul 29, 2007.

1. JohnP1

JohnP1 New Member

I have downlighters installed in a bathroom, but have been told that there should be no loft insulation round them. Is this right? What's the best way to shield the heat from the downlighter safely, while still having a proper level of loft insulation above the bathroom?

Thanks,
    J

2. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

3. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

Do you mean halogen lights? If so I am interested in the responses as I am going to fit some 12v halgen lights in my bathroom.

4. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

If you haven't yet fitted them then don't buy Fire Hoods as they're awrkward to instal and costly to buy!

Instaling lights with built in Fire Protection is far easier and cheaper!

5. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

They did look expensive - thats over £50 for five lights ! I have purchased my lights, but would have thought that a cheap cover must be available.

6. Nicky Tesla

Nicky Tesla New Member

just create a plasterboard cover that spans from joist to joist, then cover that with the insulation. Check the minimum distance requirements in your instructions.

7. DandMElectrical

DandMElectrical New Member

Get fire-rated recessed downlighters, 20 quid a pop. Dont even nbeed to go in the loft and crawl around.

Time saved = more money for me.

8. Ion Transient

Ion Transient New Member

> Get fire-rated recessed downlighters, 20 quid a pop.

B&Q sell 'em..£16 for 3

9. fooman

fooman New Member

Get fire-rated recessed downlighters, 20 quid a
    pop.[/i]

B&Q sell 'em..£16 for 3

are you sure ?? nasty mains voltage i bet ;)

10. DandMElectrical

Sorry, i don't buy tat. lol

11. jizzer

jizzer New Member

Clay plantpot over the light notch at bottom for cable couple of dabs of silicone to hold in place

12. tonynoarm

tonynoarm New Member

Cheers guys for your advice. As I ave already purchased the lights the plasterboard aproach may be best and most economical for me.

Sorry for hyjacking your topic John. :)

13. DandMElectrical

Clay plant pots GTFO !

14. Ion Transient

Ion Transient New Member

> are you sure ?? nasty mains voltage i bet ;-)

yes I am sure, and they are..but I like 'em ;)

15. jizzer

jizzer New Member

Clay plant pots yes cheap and effective NHBC inspector seen them and ok but suggested the silicone dabs so they dont move

16. jizzer

jizzer New Member

By the way you dont use compost or owt ....and what ever you do dont water em!!!!!!

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Cant see how using clay plant pots satisfies the building regs with ref to using them as fire hoods?

18. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Cant see how using clay plant pots satisfies the
    building regs with ref to using them as fire hoods?

Localize the fire...

:^O

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Lol Ext nice one..a few years back on site we was fitting loads of 12v downlighters (cant stand the flippin things..really cant) and thought to save money we would make up plasterboard boxes and put them over the downlighters for protection (access was through floorboards upstairs)must have made up what 20 or so when the NIC came on site to inspect work..in a nutshell was told to take the lot out..which we did and we used those flippin horrible white hood things..you poked them through the hole with a hammer handle and the flippin things wouldn't screw to the plasterboard hole edge without breaking the faffing board edge and stuff..flippin heck..

20. noconduit

noconduit New Member

The Fire rated are only fire rated if you keep the insulation off them.
    The hoods have a hole in them to let heat escape don't they?

The insulation can't be broken so plasterboard might be best.
    Or chicken wire.
    etc.