Draft through double glazing

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by wingit, Nov 27, 2014.

1. wingit

wingit Member

After spending a number of years in my house I have realised that the chilly bedroom which I "enjoy" with my gorgeous wife, my "showering" is impeded by a draft. The draft does not come from the connection between the closing window and frame but between the frame and the glass .. between the glass and the frame! I have spent some time identifying this. What can I do about this apart from new windows which I cannot afford? The draft actually come from the connection between the glass and the frame not between the closing frame and the static frame.

Any help gratefully received.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

if you take the beading off round the frame then see if the unit has been made too small, then decide whether to have a new unit made or fill the gap with silicone, :oops:

Biffo likes this.
  3. Wingit, from the last windae I fitted masel', the only thing blocking draughts around the glass db unit is the rubber seal on the clip-in beadings, and a similar rubber seal on t'other side.

Have a look at your glass pane - all around the edge should be a rubber 'blade' seal pressing firmly on to the glass, and mitred neatly in t'corners.

Do you? Have you? Will you?

4. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Was about to say the same as DA, check the gasket for deterioration , there's also a chance it may have been replaced at some point with a slightly thinner gasket that is a bit loose, one is usually a compression gasket which range from about 2-6mm and do as the name suggests, compress the glass against the other seal on the other side, so if that's undersized it will all be a tad loose and allow more draft in.