DRAIN FLIES IN TOILET/BATHROOM

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dimmy, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dimmy

dimmy Member

Hi

I keep getting those pesky tiny drain flies in my toilet/bathroom (also in kitchen). They are not coming from the plugholes (plug is in) or the overflow (taped over). Behind the toilet pan where it inserts into the pan connector pipe there is a normal 5mm gap. Could the flies be coming through this gap (there are no leaks,drips or smell coming from this gap)?...if the flies are coming through this gap can I seal it with sealant or duck tape...OR is this gap there for a reason..i.e.for venting purposes etc.?Any advice would be appreciated...thanks ..Dimmy

2. That gap you see around that joint is not really an actual gap into the soil pipe at all (or at least it shouldn't be). Behind that gap is is a rubber diaphragm that the pan's spigot is pushed through and should seal tight around it.

So that should already be sealed ok. You could fill it with sealant if you wished, but that will make the pan more difficult to remove in future - tho' not an issue if you plan to replace the pan rather refit it afterwards (if you were to fit a new pan in future, you'd simply replace that fitting too).

So fill that gap if you wish to try it - bearing in mind my proviso above.

Don't know much about these flies, I'm afraid. Perhaps a bit of research will show what their life cycle is and that might lead you to where they are coming from?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The sticky tape trick, cover your bath,basin,shower plughole & any overflows with clear sticky tape, leave in place say evening & overnight,ideally need to do this over several days, any flies on tape, identifys the source of the problem.
    It's a quick way to find the home of the flies.

Then clean out the bath,basin, shower traps & pour a good strong disinfectant down them after refitting them.
    Outside Jeyes Fulid down the manhole, drain gully clean it out, I usually pour a dustbin of water with Jeyes down the gully, the force of water is enough most times to clear the sediment.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select