Draining cold water tank in loft

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Shanto23, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Shanto23

Shanto23 New Member

I have just moved into my house and there was abit of brown water from coming out of the cold water tap in bathroom, after getting in the loft the tank has no cover on and alot of **** at the bottom of it.

The house was probably built in 1960's and doubt the cold water tank ever been cleaned out.

This water also feeds my hot water tank, if any one could advice me could i just turn off mains and turn all taps on hot & cold drain water then fill it again or should i get all stuff out at bottom of tank? Was reading else where this can cause more problems then it's worth this isn't my property but the landlady useless and ive my little boy dont want him bathing in dirty water also there was a bird in loft had to get out that probably been crapping in it.

Any help be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Metal tank?,ideally it would better replacing it,with a new one that complies with Byelaw 30 UK,Byelaw 60 in Scotland ,it will then have a snap on lid,etc.
    You will never get the exsisting 100% clean.

[​IMG]

Byelaw 30, is a legal requirement in the UK, so your landlord is require to sort the problem.
    If the water supplier considers that there is a significant risk of water being contaminated or wasted by these fittings (even if they complied with Water Supply Byelaws in force at the time they were installed) the water supplier can insist on improvements.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It is a criminal offence to breach the regulations and offenders may face prosecution, your landlord has a legal requirment to sort the problem.

4. Shanto23

Shanto23 New Member

It is a round plastic tank with a smaller black plastic tank above if it is ok to just flush this one i will i know i could get landlord to upgrade it its just the hassle of getting her to do it the tenacy is up in February next place i get i will be checking in the loft something people usally dont do when viewing a house but only discover this once moved in

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Throughly clean it, should be able to get a lid or make one from a bit of ply to keep crud out.

The brown stuff from bath cold tap could from rusty pipes, it fed from the mains, not the header tank, which feeds your hot water cylinder.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    Shanto23 likes this.
  6. Shanto23

Shanto23 New Member

Should i clean out all the grit at bottom of tank? What i done was tied the ballcock up and drained it that way done it twice water is clear now but still all the stuff at bottom is the tank ment to be 100% clean

Thanks

7. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Use a sponge to wipe it all out. dont do the small one though as thats for your central heating.
    The brown water is usually a sign that there is galvanised iron pipes somewhere in your hot water system. I removed this one just last week.
    IMG_2297.jpg

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

wet & dry vac is great for cleaning out water tanks.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG] Yuck [​IMG].

10. Shanto23

Shanto23 New Member

Ok i have a wet & dry hoover i think il go with this option :)

Might sound silly is there meant to be grit at bottom of tank once it's completely cleaned out is there any stuff i need to put in it?

Thanks for help everyone appreciate it

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No grit should be there,unlikely you get rid of all of it.

But, if water board repairs their water main, then ocassionally you might a get bit of grit, even if they flush their pipes.

12. Shanto23

Shanto23 New Member

After cleaning out tank all water was coming out clear, been a few days now only thing i notice the water tank in loft is taking ages to fill the pressure was faster before could this be a airlock or debris in there? Thanks

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

14. Shanto23

Shanto23 New Member

Yes that makes sense as water always flowing through. Sorry so you mean is stop cock fully on?

15. Shanto23

Shanto23 New Member

Just checked th kitchen tap water is coming out very slow stop cock is beneath and is fully on

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Close it and open it again. See if it helps.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Stop cocks can cause all sort of problems.

18. John Devlin

John Devlin New Member

I am totally satisfied with your comment.

19. GPM

GPM New Member

Your landlord is responsible for a water hygiene regime to be put in place at your property. This is covered by acop l8, hsg274. Ideally your cwst should be inspected every 6 months and if there is debris present that can feed microbial growth or if there is evidence of water stagnation (biofilm) then the tank should be cleaned and disinfected, consider reduction of stored water if stagnation is occurring. The water should also be at a maximum of 20 degrees c. I work in this area and clean tanks regularly, also carry out remedial works on water systems after a water systems risk assessment has been carried out. Something else your landlord should have in place. All the relevant info can be found on the HSE website I believe.
    There are a few methods of cleaning and disinfection to consider but you should isolate the feed to a hot water cylinder or make sure it's switched off and cold if using chemicals as they can damage the heating elements if exposed when hot. Hot water cylinders should be set at 60-65 degrees c to kill off any bacteria, and a blow down of the cylinder performed periodically. Hope this helps

20. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

The OP hasn't been seen for the last two and a half years and is missing in action - possibly as a result of drinking the water.

GPM and rogerk101 like this.